Chapter 16 "One Step Closer Part 1"

It's early in the morning. A new day. That's what mornings are all about. A fresh new start. I looked to my left and saw Jessie still sound asleep. I don't want to wake her up yet, it's only 5:30 am and I have to get ready for work. I caressed Jessie's face with a smile.

I know you told me that you love me and I appreciate that you do. I can still remember her sweet soft voice while she was hugging me and said those words.

"I love you, Kristina."

"You don't have to say anything. Just let me say those words to you. Let me show you that I mean it. I love you."

I just stood there without saying a word. I didn't know what to say. She just held my hand as we went out of the old factory. That night, she wanted to make sure that I was gonna be alright so she insisted that she will be sleeping over at my apartment, she was supposed to be sleeping on the couch but it's too small for her so I offered her to sleep with me on my bed. When Jessie laid down, she was well behaved and she wasn't even hugging me... So I reached out for her arm and placed it around my waist and said it was okay, then we fell asleep.

Later on, I took a quick bath and got dressed for work. Jessie was still asleep when I peeked at my bedroom. I made breakfast for me and Jessie but since she's still asleep I just covered her food with another plate. I left Jessie a note on my side table that says "Breakfast is on the table and don't forget to lock the door when you leave, okay? Thanks again for last night. See you later."

When I got to the café, Lizzy and Madison was already there.

"Well, good morning, Kristina. How are you on this fine day?" asked Madison with a flashy smile while placing her arms over my shoulders.

I smiled and said, "I'm good."

"Will you stop being a lesbian for a moment, Madison and help me with moping the floors?" said Lizzy sarcastically.

"Alright, alright... I'm coming. You're such a b*tc-"

"What?" asked Lizzy with one hand on her waist.

"Nothing." Answered Madison with her best poker face.

Along came Ginny with her new girlfriend dropping her off on a motorcycle.

"Bye, babe! Bye! I love you!!" said Ginny waving goodbye to her lover.

We all cleaned the café first before we opened at seven o'clock. It was a busy morning, all our working customers came in with a hurried look plastered on their faces. They would only order a coffee and a bagel, next is our regular customers which consist of old people and some younger looking college peeps.

Then came AJ. She looks a bit tired, she must have not slept well last night. Later on, AJ approached Carol and had a serious conversation with her. I think it's about that audition on the third floor for their Broadway show.

Suddenly someone hugged me from behind and kissed me on my right cheek.

"Good morning. Thanks for breakfast."

I turned around and saw Jessie. I looked over at the counter to see if some of my colleagues saw that. And I was right. Lizzy, Ginny, and Madison were eyeing me with an intrigued look on their face.

I immediately whispered at Jessie, "What are you doing? They're staring."

Jessie smiled and kissed me on my forehead then went straight at Carol's office.

Oh God! I know for sure they all saw that. I looked down as I walked towards the counter. I can sense that my trusty old friends are looking at me.