Chapter 1 "THE BAR"

Yes, I finally did it. New York City! The Big Apple, the city that never sleeps, all those magnificent buildings and dazzling skyscrapers. I took a deep breath and looked around the place. My new apartment is smaller than the place I rented in Georgia. Carrying the last box from the moving truck, I placed it on top of my sofa. I started unpacking and placing all my things in order. Due to the numerous times I have moved from one place to another, this has become an easy task for me. I’d like to think that I’m a gypsy, just a carefree girl that likes to dance and entertain people from every part of the country. But how I wish I was that carefree. I sat and stared at the ceiling and thought of my Mama Renata and my two older brothers Pablo and Felipe. How I miss them so much. Last month my brother Pablo called me on the phone saying that our Mama has fainted and he rushed her to the hospital. I was still in Georgia at that time. I had to catch a plane to see how my Mama is doing. The doctor said she is very ill and need to have surgery. I know it will cost a fortune to have my Mama get a surgery, but we pulled through it and she is now stable and taking her medicines. The things I had to go through, just to get that money. I don’t know if I’ll ever forget them. I just hope that I can erase them and start a new life. Tomorrow, I’ll start by looking for a job.

The next day, I woke up early and had my breakfast. I am a firm believer that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. My favorite is Arepas Rellenas de Queso or simply Arepas. Mama always cooks it for our breakfast. She got the recipe from abuela. It is a corn cake stuffed with cheese. After I finished eating, I put on my coat and headed out.

Five blocks away from my apartment, I saw a quaint café on the first floor of a three storey building. I was attracted to its vintage look. The windows are big with a retro grey awning. Inside, I can see the white beach-like chairs and brown round polished tables. The place is well lit and it has a homey feel. I feel so relaxed just by looking at it.

Hmm, what is that on the window? I thought to myself.

Wait!!!! I gasped in excitement when I finally realized that there is a “Wanted: Waitress” sign displayed on the window.

I crossed the street and immediately went in.  I was greeted by a staff and I walked towards the counter.  I noticed one girl looking at me with a questioning face. Like all the other staff, she is wearing a brown slack shorts and a white polo t-shirt with a brown embossed sign of the café. She is about 3 inches taller than me and her black hair is neatly tied up. She also has a beautiful physique. Actually, all of them have beautiful physique. I don’t think I would fit in here.

She approached me and then she said, “Hello, what can I get you? Our special for today is Eggplant Parmigiana. It is perfect with our house blended iced tea. Would you like to try it?”

I was speechless. My hands are shaking and I can feel them profusely sweating.

I tried to talk but it feels like I have a lump in my throat. I swallowed and started to talk.

“I’m sorry, I came here ‘cause I saw the sign outside that you are in need of another waitress. I would like to apply for that position.”

“Oh, I see.” Then she looked at me from head to toe. As if she is scanning if I am carrying some sort of deadly weapons. She was about to say something but a mysterious hand appeared and shoved her face away. I was confused at first and looked a bit shocked. The mysterious hand belonged to a lady who looks a few years older than me.

“Go and feed my customers! Here, take Mr. Dale’s order!” she said with might while handing her the order slip.