A threat

I've been working so hard on the training, Dante kept giving me psychology and history classes too. I learned he's a mermaid descendent, the few that mixed with humans and are able to breathe both out and underwater, the symbol in his ring was his family legacy, but it's been years since he went to his underwater town. I didn't even know mermaids were also part of the supers, apparently, they're pro-humans and had been allies in the fight against the vampires/werewolves since they broke the water trade. 

The water trade was a trade made by all terrestrial and aquatic supers to establish a balance, the problem was the human system created by the terrestrial was polluting the oceans, the water people asked to make a more sustainable system but the terrestrials refused, said the system was working perfectly for them and the pollution was just collateral. The water towns took that as an offense and since then had been supporting every human intent to destroy them.

"We should be getting this at schools," I said while Dante finished the class, "That wouldn't be smart of them," he said,  I was heading back home as I had combat training the next day and I was getting pretty good, last class I managed to put Sheila on the floor for the first time, it was a lot of fun and it helped a lot that the teacher was stunning. I was remembering the sweet smell of her hair when I stumbled with Maddy waiting at my building's front door.

"Finally," she said when she saw me, "I've been here half an hour, I thought you got out of work at 5" I looked at her with disbelief. "What are you doing here?" I asked ignoring the things she just said. "I need to talk to you," she said, "Can we go up? I'm freezing" it was cold but I didn't want her to come to my apartment, I had textbooks and other vampire-hunting-related stuff in my living room, but also I didn't want to talk to her. "What is it?" I asked ignoring her request.

She looked at me uncomfortable with the weather, I didn't react so she just started talking, "Ok, I'm worried about you, you've been ignoring me and I don't know anything about you anymore, did you leave your job? where are you coming from?" I looked at her showing no emotions whatsoever, "What do you care?" I said, she seemed offended by the question. "What do you mean? of course I worry about you, I always have and always will, I know we fought a lot and our last fight wasn't pretty, but that doesn't mean I don't care about you".

"The biggest tool a vampire has is manipulation" I remember Dante's words, she was looking at me with big eyes, signaling again she was cold, "I'm moving on, that's it" she seemed annoyed, "Can we just come up and talk about it?" she was jumping up and down and rubbing her hands. "No, I'm busy, don't worry about me, I'm fine," I said while opening the front door, "are you even able to get cold?" I said to her looking into her eyes. She immediately stop the theatrics, her eyes went dark and she stood her whole height looking into my eyes, in a split second her hand was blocking my way to get into the apartment.

"You think I don't know who you are hanging out with? do you really think you can outsmart me?, you're just a helpless human, you all are, I gave you the opportunity to be greater, to be royalty and this is how you pay me? I'm just here to let you know I'm watching you, and I'm not liking what I see" she let go of the door and came back to her softer glaze, "I do care for you Laura," she said while walking away.