I Trusted You Too

Start from the beginning

"Oh, shut up!" Kelsey snapped. "I am so sick of hearing you whine and complain. God knows how I tolerated you all these months."

I was confused and the throbbing pain in my head didn't help. "What?"

"I'm not here to help you, Mila. I'm the one who put you here."

Kelsey's words played back in my head. "But..." I cleared my dry throat, but it only hurt more.

Kelsey gestured for the tall man with dark hair and icy eyes for something. The man harshly gripped the back of my neck, tilted my head back, and shoved a bottle of water in my mouth. The water flowed rapidly but I was so thirsty that I drank as much as I could. Water dribbled down my chin and I choked because of how roughly the man handled me.

"Enough," Kelsey instructed. "We don't want her to die on us."

The man pulled the bottle away. I wanted to wipe my mouth but when I moved my hands, I recalled they were tied. I stared in disbelief at Kelsey, and she looked the very same but the way she stared at me was different.

"Why?" I breathed. "You're my friend."

"Please," Kelsey scoffed. "Ever heard the saying, keep your friends close and your enemies closer?"

"Enemy?" I frowned. "What have I ever done to earn that privilege?"

Kelsey glared. "Don't try and act snarky with me. I'm not Mitch or any of your other pathetic friends who'll tolerate you."

Kelsey stepped closer and scrutinized my face. "I don't get it. Sure, you have a pretty face but other than that, what is it about you that makes everyone love you so much?"

I humorlessly laughed. "Love me so much? I think you might have the wrong Mila."

Kelsey ground her teeth together and looked at me in distaste. "That's the problem with you. You take everyone in your life for granted. You fail to see what's in front of you because you're too busy wallowing in self-pity."

"Poor Mila's mom forgot her. Poor Mila's dad doesn't love her enough. Mila raised herself. Mila had to grow up too soon. Mila's mom died. Mila's best friend slash possible ex-lover is dying. Mila this, Mila that, it's bloody sickening!"

Kelsey's words were like salt in my wounds and maybe she had a point, but I never asked for anyone's pity. I admitted I was difficult because of past trauma but that's why I didn't allow many people in my life – so they wouldn't have been burdened by me and my issues.

"Everyone has problems so I don't get why you must be treated differently," Kelsey spat. "You aren't anything special, quite the contrary actually."

"I can agree with that," I muttered.

"Don't give me that hogwash. You and I both know that you love the attention all your minor problems bring. You're a narcissist who doesn't care for anyone but herself."

"I do love a good compliment."

Kelsey struck me across the face, and it took me a second to comprehend what happened. My cheek warmed and stung from the force and her ring gashed me over the cheekbone.

"You snarky little bitch," Kelsey snarled. "I don't know how he can love someone like you. Just like your relationship, everything is a bloody joke to you. Is that a defense mechanism to block out your so-called trauma?"

I didn't care for her insults, but the latter part of her statement stood out and realization dawned on me. "Is this," I paused and gulped. "Is this about Mitch?"

Kelsey clenched her jaw and stared at me squarely. I recalled her interactions with Mitchell and at first glance, it seemed very innocent. However, the subtle touches, giggles at his jokes that weren't even funny, and even the little excuses she used for him to spend time with her suddenly made sense. The kiss that she initiated that I perhaps should've given more thought to was probably very much intentional and well-calculated.