Talk To Me

Mitchell's POV

I grew more anxious and counted each second until I landed in New York. I was to leave LA Tuesday evening but preponed my trip because of Mila. Liza fucked with my brain after I dropped Kelsey off in her suite and I wanted nothing more than to talk to Mila but her phone was off. 

I assumed she fell asleep but when I tried calling again in the morning, her phone was still off. I figured she was mad or just didn't want to talk to me. It bothered me all of Saturday but I didn't overthink it and gave her some space. Until Sunday arrived and I was still unable to get through to Mila. I got Jimmy's number from Faith and called him, he explained that he hadn't seen Mila but her friend at work informed him Mila was given a few days off after her patient died.

I knew Jimmy meant the patient with rare brain cancer that Mila grew fond of. I feared she was too close to the case and wouldn't take it well if the patient didn't make it. I tried to advise Mila to put some distance but she didn't pay heed. I felt miserable just imagining how distraught Mila must've felt, she must've been triggered and in a bad state to suddenly go silent. I hated myself for not taking her call when she needed me. I explained to Dad that I needed to see Mila and thanks to Mom's support, I didn't need to elaborate further and Dad told me he'd handle whatever work I had pending in LA.

I booked the first flight out that evening but each second felt way too fucking long. I convinced myself Mila was fine but was also worried that she was MIA for over twenty-four hours. In the back of my mind, I knew how strong she was but I needed to see and hold her to have calmed my nerves. 

When I finally landed in New York, I had a car brought over so I could've driven straight to Mila's place. I tried to call her once more but her phone was still off. I grew agitated and squeezed my phone until my knuckles turned white but told myself I needed to be cool-headed when I saw Mila.

Thankfully, it was way off-peak so traffic wasn't half as bad as it usually was in Manhattan. Although there were a lot of idiot drivers on the road who pissed me off, I remained calm with the sole motive of seeing my girl. 

After I parked the car in Mila's apartment building's underground parking lot, I made sure the vehicle was locked and took quick steps toward the elevator. However, I slowed down when I heard the sound of a revving engine and screeching tires approaching the direction I stood. I wondered which reckless person drove at such a speed in a parking lot but shook my head as it didn't involve me. 

I spoke too soon because the sound got louder and within seconds, a gray BMW sped my way. My reflex's worked quickly and I moved aside between two parked cars. I watched as the reckless driver harshly braked and with a screeching sound on the cement, the car drifted to the side and came to an abrupt stop. 

Fucking idiot!

Whoever drove was very lucky because they were inches away from crashing against a pole and at the speed they drove, it could've been disastrous. Smoke engulfed me from the exhaust and I smelled burnt rubber and saw skid marks on the ground as I stepped out from my spot. I knew the decent thing would've been to check on the driver but I had more important things to attend to. 

I paid no heed as I walked past the car and glanced into the windscreen to see two people sitting inside. I took two steps and stopped when my mind played back the vague image of the woman I saw. 

"Mila?" I muttered under my breath and took quick steps back towards the car. 

I bent and looked through the passenger side window and went cold for a second. Mila sat in the car with her eyes squeezed shut and hands against her ears in utter fear. I noticed tears rolling down her cheeks as she sat frozen in her spot.