Chapter 15

Eric's POV

I didn't want to leave Lizzy until I knew she was going to be okay. As the dawn approached I knew I had to leave. We were in the second stage of initiation and while my presence wasn't needed as much I still had to make an appearance. Not to mention all of the plans we had brewing in Dauntless leadership. Lizzy had stirred a few times during the night but had stayed unconscious. I heard someone pulling at the door then knocking sharply. I didn't want to let go of her hand but I knew that I had to. I got up and opened the door. It was the doctor.

"Did you lock this door?" He asked.

I crossed my arms.

"Yes, it was for her protection." I said.

The doctor me but then stepped past me. If he didn't believe me he didn't say so. I watched him closely as he touched her. He didn't seem alarmed at all.

"She seems to be doing alright. All of her wounds will heal. She has made it all night with the baby so if she was going to miscarry it would have happened by now. Still no promises but things look good."

I kept my face calm and blank on the outside but inside I was elated. Lizzy and the baby were going to be okay. I waited for the doctor to leave again and I locked the door behind him. Now that it was safe I let my tears flow. I went to Lizzy's side and held her hand once again. I leaned down and placed a gentle kiss on her stomach. "Hello baby, don't you worry, daddy is here."

I kept my face pressed against Lizzy's stomach just needing to feel her. I felt her move then I felt her hands in my hair.

"Eric." She said softly.

Liz's POV

I felt like death warmed over. I could feel myself coming to the surface. I could hear a voice, deep and strong. I realized it was Eric, he was here. I couldn't make out what he was saying but there was no mistaking that voice. I could feel his hand in mine and longed to squeeze it. My eyes slowly blinked open. The light was bright compared to the darkness I had spent yesterday in. I could see Eric's hair. That is when I realized he had his head on my stomach and was talking to our baby. I reached out and touched his hair. A familiar feeling to bring me back to the surface.

"Eric." I said.

He turned and looked at me.

"Lizzy!" He said smiling.

The tears coming down my face stung the cuts but I did not care. Eric gently brushed my hair back from my face and touched my cheek.

"Lizzy, I thought I lost you. I thought I lost you both." He said placing his hand on my stomach.

I put my hand over his.

"So the baby is okay?"

He nodded and entwined his fingers with mine.

"Yes, the doctor said the baby seems to be doing fine."

I was so relieved that my baby was alive that the pain didn't even bother me anymore. I tried to scoot over on the bed. Eric put his hand on my shoulder.

"Woah, what are you doing?" He asked.

"I'm making room for you on the bed."

"No, I'm fine standing."

I reached for him.

"Eric can you please just hold me?"

His face wavered like he was trying to decide. In the end I won. Eric climbed into the bed. He gingerly sat me up while he slid in behind me. My whole body hurt but I just wanted to be near him. He put his legs on either side of me and I leaned back against his chest. I could hear the steady sound of his heartbeat in my ear. I was home. He wrapped his arms around me and we held hands in my lap.

"I missed you." I said softly.

Eric cleared his throat which I knew was his defense against crying.

"I missed you too. I promise nothing will ever separate us again." He said.

I wanted to believe him. I really did. But this was Dauntless and I knew there would always be a target on his back. After what had happened I knew now more than ever that our relationship had to stay a secret.