Tsukishima Kei - Affirmation

Start from the beginning

"Eat. I don't care if it's slow but eat. I'll get your water. And once you're done, I have a treat for you. And you have a game with the old team later, don't forget."

"Okay. Thank you." He feels a smile creep onto his face, but he's sure it barely shows, and you walk back to the kitchen.

The last couple of months had been incredibly draining, mostly physically on you and mentally on him. With his degree coming to an end, being officially done as soon as he finished this thesis and submitted it to his professor. He spent the last few weeks of the past year doing his best to complete university while still playing volleyball regularly with his professional team and old schoolmates. He was going to finally graduate and leave his university with a good record, but the backlash of his effort went to you, who had to take care of him while doing everything you already did.

When he typed his last period on the document, the apartment became a bit quieter. Taking a breath, he slowly saved the file, named it, and handed it in.

The confirmation window popped up on his screen, and he cheered, slamming the device closed.

"You're done?!" You had raced from around the corner, where the living space was situated.

"I'm done!"

Your cheer was louder than his, surprising him, and the smile on your face was one of the largest he'd ever seen from you. Despite that, you still maintained your composure walking quickly forward to hug him. "You're done. Congratulations. Now finish eating."

His lunch, now lukewarm, was still sitting at his desk, mostly untouched.

"I brought cake. Your favourite."

He ate quickly. Everything quickly. He felt more energised than he had all year. And as he was about to leave, volleyball bag hanging from his shoulder, he turned over his shoulder.

"I love you!"

You stare at him wide-eyed, wordless. And in his embarrassment, he slammed the door.

•──────⋅☼⋅──────•‌

"Tsukki, I think you're overthinking it. Which is weird. Stop it," Kageyama, ever kind, says with a grimace. "Why does it even matter anyways?"

"Because Kageyama," Yamaguchi cuts in, "They have liked each other for years and have been dating. Dating? Have you guys been dating?"

Tsukishima shrugs a little.

Yamaguchi nods suspiciously. "They've been together for years, but you remember, they're both kind of...." Yamaguchi stood straight, looking at Kageyama with a neutral expression that looked unsettling on his generally happy face. "They don't express that sort of thing."

"Okay, and?"

"And, It takes a lot for Tsukki to admit that he loves them—even though it's obvious—so when they don't say it back, it feels bad."

For a moment, Tsukishima wished Hinata hadn't been late and would give him the unwarranted vote of confidence and reassurance he usually did. But just as the thought leaves him, the rest of his old teammates begin to trickle in, younger and older ones, including the cheerful redhead.

A part of him relaxes at the sting of the shorter man's hand when Hinata slaps his back and gives him a smile, "They love you, even if they don't say it. So don't worry, and block my spikes instead."

During a water break, Sugawara finds him sitting on one of the benches. "Hinata told me."

"Oh wow, I'm so shocked. Who would have ever guessed that Hinata couldn't keep things to himself." His tone is flat and hollow, supported by a raised brow and bored expression.