Chapter 1

Sometimes you can't help who you fall in love with. You don't see them as the villain because to you they are just the one you love. Yes, I know he has done wrong, is doing wrong. He loves me and I love him, isn't that good enough? I used to think that I could change him, could make him better, but now I know that I cannot. He is who he is and I love him in spite of it. So I stay, because I cannot imagine my life without him and because I love him. Every night he comes home to me, to my arms and to our bed. For better or worse Eric has my heart and at the end of the day it is just me and him, together.

I was born Dauntless, raised Dauntless and then I chose Dauntless. I knew Eric from brief encounters just from growing up together. It wasn't until initiation that I really got to know him. He was very Dauntless Eric at first; headstrong, proud, cocky and a bit of an ass. I honestly thought he hated me. He didn't pick on me more than the others but he obviously wasn't showing me any kindness.

We went through initiation together and I watched him strive for perfection only to be struck down by Four. I couldn't blame him for being upset, it sucks to want something and never reach it. Our relationship started there in initiation. From the very beginning it had to be kept a secret. Eric has always had 'enemies', most of which he created himself. I was always kept at arm's length during initiation. He didn't want people to use me against him and he did not want to be seen as having a weakness. We had stolen moments here and there. Secret meetings and late night times together.

I thought after initiation was over then maybe we could be public but it didn't happen. Eric moved up to leadership of Dauntless and the target on his back became bigger. So in the shadows and secret I stayed. I don't mind it here too much. I took a job doing tattoos so I only rarely see Eric throughout the day. I think that it makes it better when we do see each other at night. I miss him so much during the day but I know my face betrays me every time I unexpectedly see him. So it works that we don't see each other all day.

We have separate apartments to keep up appearances and we split our time between them so they both look lived in. Every night when he comes home to me I am there waiting for him. Every night the stress and the worries of the day melt away. His Dauntless exterior fades away and he is simply Eric. He is lost in my arms and between my legs. The days are for Dauntless but when the night comes it is only for us.