Chapter 11: Suprises

Leonardo woke up alone. He wasn’t happy about it, but he saw Suzie with her broach activated, brushing her hair. She noticed he was awake and beaming at her in the mirror so she turned and signed to him.

“Our moms said to have our broaches on. They want to take us to a nice human restaurant for breakfast. Wouldn’t tell me why though. Make sure you look awesome Leon.”

“I always look awesome, s’cuse you.”

Leo playfully scoffed and laughed when Suzie threw a shirt at him. He almost refused to take his onesie off, but resigned to its fate to be cleaned. He got dressed in a long sleeved admiral blue shirt with a teal vest over it, a pair of soft, mulberry colored pants, and his favorite light up unicorn sneakers. Bootyyyshaker9000 found out about his birthday and sent him a gift through the mail. When asked about them, he said that he hacked his computer to find out his address to send them.

Ignoring the creepy aspect of his online friend finding his home address and sending him a birthday present, it was a great gift and Leonardo repaid with his own birthday gift to Bootyyyshaker9000. His birthday was a week before Leo’s, so while they were the same age, he was older by a week. Leo got him a bunch of high grade titanium to make cool stuff. He considered uranium, but he couldn’t justify it to his mom, so titanium it was! The happiness from Bootyshaker9000 radiated from them when they got online.

Back to the nice clothes, Suzie wore a simple pair of black jeans, a wine colored shirt with a faint flowery skull print, and a pair of combat boots. Her hair was brushed out and a bunch of bobby pins kept the majority out of her eyes.

Leonardo took her hand and ran down the stairs to the lobby. Big Mama and Abigail both waited patiently in the human forms. Abigail’s human disguise was a petite light skinned black woman, with a short pixie cut hairstyle. She wore a butterfly and moon themed dress with a pair of black flats. Big Mama wore a dark purple, off the shoulder sweater and jeans. She was honestly impressed that Suzie managed to get him out of his onesie.

“Come along children.”

Suzie and Leo followed after their parents and enjoyed a pleasant walk to a nearby fancy restaurant run by a celebrity chef called Rupert Swaggart. He offered a free meal to Big Mama if she would allow him to produce an episode in the hotel. Of course Big Mama was never one to refuse a deal. So the terms she set were if she and her party found the meal to their standards, and if he behaved like a gentleman, she would consider it. A subtle way of lighting a fire under the large human to do well.

She was familiar with the tv show Kondescending Kitchen, if it could even be called a television show. Leonardo watched an episode of it once with Big Mama and was shocked that a human would speak so vulgarly about other humans. That was a “fun” talk to have with him.

The party of four walked into the restaurant and was seated immediately by the hostess. Leonardo was distracted by a coloring book Suzie had brought. He was coloring a large cartoon cat when their menus and glasses of water arrived.

Big Mama ordered herself a ham and cheese omelet with mushrooms and spinach, Abigail got an oatmeal with fruit and brown sugar, Suzie wanted a meat lover's omelet with cut fruit on the side, and Leonardo wanted to get the fruit salad meal over a bed of lettuce with extra pineapple. The adults got tea and coffee, Suzie got a fountain soda, and Leonardo got chocolate milk.

Big Mama sipped on her tea, smirking as she saw Swaggarts head poke out from the double doors leading to the kitchens. She understood how desperate the human was for the Kondescending Kitchen episode “Grand Nexus Special,” so she knew service was going to be impeccable. There were some customers also eating at the restaurant who recognized her and the rumor mill was at a steady sprint with new gossip and theories.

Their food came out quickly and they enjoyed it, but Abigail and she had some news to deliver the children.

“Suzanne, you will be happy to know that you are moving back to New York.”

Suzie paused her demolition of her omelet to blink dumbly at Big Mama. Big Mama felt that this information didn’t need delays. She silently created a sound proof barrier around their table so the humans, eavesdropping wouldn’t interfere.

“Abigail is starting a new fashion business in the Hidden City and has asked me to shelter you for another week or so until she settles in your new house. It’s not far from the hotel, so you’ll be able to visit every day. Also Godrick is planning to retire soon and I want to appoint you as Leonardo’s personal bodyguard after the requisite training. You are also joining the Battle Nexus for two years when you turn sixteen. After the two year contract is up, you would become Leonardo’s bodyguard.”

Suzie was dumbstruck and gave her mother a suspicious side glance.

“Me and Big Mama already discussed everything. I gave my blessing for this to happen, so I won’t interfere, don’t worry baby. But you better not slack off in training. I don’t need my baby to die before me in the Battle Nexus.

Suzie gave her mother the biggest and most sincere smile ever and signed “Thank you Mom.” Abigail nearly started bawling. Other than scathing looks and growls, this was the first time Suzie spoke to her after the move.

Seeing swaggart leave the kitchen, Big Mama terminated the barrier. She looked at her own baby and chuckled. He was dumbstruck and trying to process everything that’s been said.

“Miss Ophelia Nexus, thank you for coming to the Gourmet. Is this your family?”

“Hello Mr. Swaggart. Yes, this is my son Leonardo, his best friend Suzanne, and her mother and my friend Abigail.”

“Lovely to meet you all. Did you enjoy the meal Miss Ophelia?”

“I did indeed. A scrumptious meal. Baby, how’d you like your food?”

“It’s great! The pineapple is really juicy!”

“Well Mr. Swaggart, thank you for the fantabulous breakfast. You’ll be receiving a call very soon.”

Big Mama pulled out her wallet to pay.

“Don’t worry about the bill Miss Ophelia. Just have a grand day with your family. Cheerio madams and kiddies.”

“Come along children, we must be back at the hotel soon.”

Leonardo gave the chef his colored cat picture with a kind smile. He caught onto his mother’s scheme the moment the human came to their table.

“Thank you for breakfast Mrister Swaggart! I really like your show!”

Big Mama smirked. Leonardo was really taking after her in the ways of manipulating people from observing her in action. He was quite the adept learner. As soon as they were out of sight of the restaurant, the small boy gave a full body shudder and waved his hands in displeasure.

“The guy was creepy. He was too smiley and polite and he smelled like sweat and grease. Suzie broke down into silent giggles, but Abigail roared with enough laughter for the both of them.

“Wait…SUZIE’S MOVING BACK?!”

Vote, comment, and have a fantabulous day 😊😊💖💖
1259 words
Enjoy