Chapter 10: Airships

Dwarven city of Gigdor

After brief introductions were made, and a meeting with the prime minister and three monarchs was established, their way of passage through the Alliance territory and to the capital was figured out, with the city mayor suggesting they use his private airship to make the journey.

Upon reaching the small airfield just outside the city, the human agent was now able to gain an understanding on how far the dwarves were along with aircraft technology.

Besides the use of early biplanes, the dwarves have built a number of early airships, propelled by small rotors and held aloft by large bladders of lighter than air gas. As to what gas they used when asked about it, the mayor answered with helium. Apparently they too experienced enough accidents with hydrogen and set a strict helium only policy for airship development. This relieved the agent who felt more comfortable knowing they were using a safer gas.

"So I take it you're familiar with airships yourselves?" Mayor Goldbeard asked as the duo boarded his private airship up a ramp into the hanging gondola under the envelope.

"Indeed, however I must admit these designs are far outdated compared to how our present airships operate." Holland answered. "Our methods of achieving flight are more complicated, yet more capable compared to using gasses and small propellers."

"Our designs are outdated?" The mayor asked, puzzled by the statement given by the human. "By our accounts these are the most advanced and efficient methods for generating lift on an airship. What other methods of flight do you use?"

"VTOL engines. We use advanced thrusters to generate enough lift and propulsion for our airships. In fact, the vessel just outside your city in the harbor is one of such airships we use."

"That thing out there is an airship?" The mayor looked back at the destroyer still parked outside the city port where a small group of ships crowded around it. "While it is a very interesting design, I fail to understand how that thing can be an airship."

"Trust me, it is an airship. But it is capable of traversing on bodies of water, normally for docking or takeoff procedures." Holland explained. "The only reason we didn't come in flying was because we feared it might send your patrols into a panic and start hostilities before contact could be made."

"A vessel able to traverse through sea and air? Such a feat is hard to believe based on just words. I will need to see to believe it myself. If your ship is truly capable of flight, then perhaps it would be best if it accompany us to demonstrate to the heads of state within the capital."

"That can be arranged."

And arranged it was. Just before the agent boarded the dwarven airship, he made brief contact with the destroyer to inform the captain of his intentions. Showcase their capabilities by launching their ship from sea, which the captain agreed on as he ordered the ship be ready for take off.

A few battleships surrounded the human vessel as well as smaller dwarf civil boats which came to look on the massive ship up close. Suddenly however all observers were stirred when the human ship started to sound an alarm and flash several rotating orange lights across the hull.

The dwarves aboard the battleships leaned out to investigate what was happening. Within just a few seconds, a low rumbling echoed from the vessel, originating from underneath the water. The water around the ship started to quickly boil and evaporate, with large waves being pushed away by an intense force being applied. Then the ship started to lift.

The dwarves looked upon a sight that brought them wonder and awe, the large human vessel began rising into the air, streams of water falling back into the ocean or evaporating within the immense jets of super heated gases blowing out from across the ventral hull.

The massive destroyer was now flying, climbing towards higher altitude for all below to see in all it's majesty. Once the ship reached 500 meters, the minimum safety altitude above civilian areas, the ship stopped ascending and held a stationary position above the city and port.

"By the heavens above!" Goldbeard cried out as he watched the ship rise up from the porthole of his own airship. "I never actually believed such a thing was possible. Are those the VTOL engines you mentioned earlier?"

"Yes, those are the engines that keep that ship aloft. However that is just our smallest vessel. We have much larger and heavier airships than just that destroyer."

This was only their smallest? This ship challenged every other ship within the dwarven fleet, and this was only their smallest? Just what kind of ships do these humans possess?

The smaller dwarven airship took flight and began making it's way towards the capital city, followed behind by the larger imposing human airship as it's presence cast a vast shadow on the land below. Small villages and communities left their dwellings and came to look up at the massive steel beast in all it's glory. A few biplanes trailed behind, flying within the wake of the airship. Even while passing near it, their planes were surrounded by warm air generated by the extreme heat of the powerful engines. The amount of energy needed to make such a construct take flight was absurd by their standards.

"For how long have your people built ships like that?"

"For almost 100 years. The technology really isn't that new to us. We've had a lot of time to improve and develop it for awhile now. These things now cost as much as the ships we built just 150 years ago. Quite a lot of progress if you ask me."

"Then I assume you no longer have use of prop driven aircraft, given how you use those engine instead."

"Basically. But there are some companies who still make turboprop engines for aircraft on the civilian market, so not all aircraft have been replaced by jet fighters and airships."

It was clear these Autonomans have very advanced technology which surpassed anything currently known throughout the world. If the dwarves were allowed access to acquire and study their technology they could quickly advance their society ahead of all magic based civilizations, and gain an ally who solely relied on technology as much as they did.

Both airships left the city airspace and proceeded further inland. Compared to the human airship, the dwarf airship was moving at a snails pace, only at 67 knots when compared to the 200 knots the larger airship was able to achieve with it's powerful booster engines. Either way, they kept pace with one another despite the difference in their capabilities.

It was only a matter of question how the heads of state for the Dwarven Alliance would react seeing such an impossible vessel fly over the capital.

Below, town and villages continued to venture out and look up at the immense Flying Fortress in uncontainable awe and wonder, questioning where such a work of engineering came from.

Among these folks were several figures in dark cloaks that made them inconspicuous when hiding within the shadows and alleyways of buildings. Looking up along with the villagers, they too were hit with an overwhelming sense of awe, but also fear and concern.

"Contact the Baron immediately. He'll need to become alert to this, or our operation may be in jeopardy."