The farther I ran, the greater the regret inside my core grew. Mammon was only trying to protect me, like he always did. Only the one in the screening skies knew what he had endured before coming here. I came to a stop in front of a tree—not so far from the sobbing fire—with ample circumference, pressing my fist against the sodden bark to catch a breath. The facsimile of the silver chain wrapping his wrist haunted me; it was as if the raven-haired panted succour from the Lord. But why? I rose slightly. What happened when he was gone?

"They'll be fine, you don't need to worry Nikolai."

My ears perked up instantly. That voice. Those auras. I peeked at the retainers from behind the manning tree. Nikolai was perched on the visible vein of a barren tree, the sun's child irradiating his eyes of anguish. Sorra kneeled preceding him, and Natalie was upright behind her, arms crossed as pity dared not tarry. It seemed like they had climbed over the craggy wall.

A hammer, that was his aura, thrust steel nails into my core, and there would it rust. I shut my eyes lest tears fell. Mikkel. I had been away from him for so long. What if this was how he felt right now? Tired. Crestfallen. Overwhelmed. God knew only how my arms itched to embrace him.

I stepped out, and began to near them. The crunching of the snow forewarned the women, and they both peered at me with surprise. Sorra gestured rapidly with her head for me to leave, but it was too late. The brunet had shot up, and encased my throat with both of his hands.

"Nikolai, stop!" she exclaimed angrily, her fingers toiling to pry him off. I gasped as he shoved me into the scabrous bark, the beating of my core hying to my ears. Every single muscle in my neck flexed erratically, essaying to slack his hold.

"Kaiser get the hell off him!"

"Why- are you- doing- this?" I rasped before digging my nails in the already scratched bark. Although my joints coveted movement, I couldn't bear to hurt him. He pushed the walls of my throat further together, making me retch harder. My vision grew hazy—but even then, I could still see him, Mikkel. The soft outline of the thick glasses that laid on his nose, his tidy black hair falling onto his forehead, and his jaw tightened with anger.

Natalie's fist came nearly in contact with the brunet's cheek, but my fingers madly sheathed her wrist, just as Sorra managed to lug him off. Oh God. I fell to the haughty ground instantly, my fingers boring the snow whilst I inhaled as much as I could.

"What the hell is wrong with you Nikolai!" the short-haired woman shouted before crawling over to me. "Jesus, Luka, are you okay?"

A sharp pain carouselling my neck replaced his hands, my eyes stinging from the sensation. It was no aid to me that the air mingled with the fumes. Sorra laid her gloved hands on my shoulders, leaving them to pin their hopes on helping me up—but I didn't give way for it.

"I'm sorry Luka, I don't...know what came over-" she began, only for blaring sirens to interject. Sorra threw a glance to the wall as the others followed suit, the brunet scrambling to his feet. "Motherfucker."

Her palms lingered, though hastily returned to her sides whilst her legs readied themselves. "I'm sorry, Luka."

The snow's screeches, intermixing with the sirens, was the concluding sound to my ears. I fell to the icy, bitter ground, a core sopping with grief.

𓆩♡𓆪 𓆩 𓂋 𓆪 𓆩♡𓆪

The water swept past, left not gravelled by low temperatures but me. I brought my knees closer to my swelling chest, as it sloshed about. My fingertips couldn't divagate from my neck, despite my efforts. I couldn't stop thinking about it; his hands wrapped around my neck. Why did this happen to me? What was so terrible that I did? I could still feel them, like his pique was seared into my skin, and decomposing every bead of facility I had left.