Chapter twenty two: shooting star

Delilah's POV:

I couldn't believe they were taking my children from me. I wanted to prove to them that I was going to be a good wife and mother from now on but how could I do it, if they didn't even let me be with my children?

"Don't cry Delilah, you can see them whenever you like. Abuela has a lot of experience with children. She means well", Mirabel said while stroking my head.

"But I want to take care of them myself, during the last few months I tried to prove that you could trust me now and it was all for nothing", I cried out. "Shhh it's not about trust. She just thinks you're not in the right condition to raise them to be strong Madrigals. It's for the best", Mirabel said but I didn't stop crying.

"See it like this, you have way more time for us, now that the elders take care of the babies", Camilo said, joining the conversation.

"You're their father, how can you agree with this?", I asked very shocked. "I trust my family and I'm young. I'm glad I don't have to spend my youth taking care of babies", he said and I couldn't believe what he just said.

He was the one, who wanted to make me pregnant in the first place. "Can I at least choose their names?", I asked. "Of course!", Mirabel replied. "I want to name the girl Flora, my mother had the same name", I said and Camilo interrupted me.

"Then I will choose the name for the boy, so it's even. I will name him Philippe", he said and I was too tired to argue, so I just accepted it. "I have had my rest now, can I see them?", I asked, feeling ridiculous that I even had to ask.

"They are feeding them now, it's not a good time", Mirabel said and I groaned. "Can I at least go out in the garden? It's been a while since I've seen daylight", I said and Mirabel nodded, helping me stand up.

"Camilo and I will accompany you", she said while walking along with me. I tried my best to walk on my own but Camilo and Mirabel were watching me closely. It was already exhausting enough to get to the door but I really wanted to feel the sun on my face.

I sighed in relief when Camilo opened the door for me. The fresh air was making me feel so much better. We sat down on the grass together. Mirabel and Camilo were occasionally kissing me and I just let them. I was so glad that I wasn't in the basement anymore.

I wished I could have my babies with me right now but I couldn't do anything about it. We sat there for a while until an old woman walked past the house. As soon as she saw me, she stopped and tried to get a closer look on me.

"Whar are you looking at?", Camilo asked her annoyed. "Flora, is that you?", the woman said and my eyes widened. "Go away!", Camilo yelled. "No Camilo please, I'm not Flora but it was my mother's name. My name is Delilah", I said and the eyes of the woman widened.

"Delilah! The last time I saw you, you were three years old. I'm your grandma, I've been searching for you and your mother ever since your parents left me. I was about to leave Encanto because I didn't see you here but I'm glad I decided to make one last walk through the village", she said and I instanly stood up.

"I didn't know I still had a grandma", I said and walked towards her to hug her. I thought my entire family was dead. "Why did my parents leave?", I asked and she sighed. "It got too dangerous for your mother in our old village. Too many people were affected by her power", she explained.

"But why didn't you come with us?", I asked. "I was too attached to the village. I did everything to make us stay there so your mother decided to leave without letting me know since she knew I wouldn't accept it", she explained.

"Delilah, come back inside", Mirabel told me and grabbed my wrist. "Wait, she is my grandma. She is family. Don't you constanly say how important family is?", I asked and she looked down. "We can't trust her", Camilo said and my grandma chuckled.

"I have the same power as her. I can't be affected by it and I also can't affect others anymore because I got too old for it to work but I'm sure I can tell you something about it. Isn't that interesting to you too now that she is a part of your family?", she asked and Camilo bit his lip.

"Go and ask abuela Mirabel", he said and Mirabel nodded before she ran away. "Is he your husband?", grandma asked pointing towards Camilo. "Yes... But I also have three wives", I said and her eyes widened. "I think the power only gets stronger with the next generation", she said and I instanly thought about my babies.

It horrified me that they might even have my power in a more powerful form.

After a short while, Mirabel was back along with Alma. "Welcome to Casita, you may come in", Alma said with a smile and we all walked inside the house.

The other family members were already preparing dinner and my grandma sat down on the table. "I'm happy Delilah still has family", Alma said and grandma's eyes widened. "What happened to your parents?", she asked me and I looked down. "They're dead", I said and she took my hand.

"I'm so sorry, this is all my fault", she said and I looked at her confused. "How?", I asked. "Because I wished for the power. I wasn't very popular in my village and after I saw a shooting star, I wished for the ability to be loved. When I looked into the mirror the next day, I noticed that my eyes had the same color like the stars and everyone, who looked at me started loving me either in a platonic way or romantic. It was all good until I gave birth to your mother. She also had starlight in her eyes but the love she received from people was often times obsessive and I guess that caused her death. Obsession is dangerous", she explained.

So she got the power from a shooting star and I inherited it. "It's good to know where the power is coming from, maybe Delilah can finally find a way to control it", Alma said and her care for me felt wrong but I should be grateful for it.

"The power can't be controlled. I hope you are able to live a peaceful life Delilah", she said and I hugged her again. "I'm grateful for my family", I said but I suddenly started crying and I didn't understand why. I had a wonderful family. That was the truth.

"Yes she does and she made our family bigger with two wonderful babies", Pepa said and came in with Flora in her arms, followed by Julieta, who was holding Philippe. "Oh they are adorable! But why aren't you holding at least one of them?", grandma asked sceptical and I bit my lip.

"Because they said I'm not in a good condition to take of care of them. That's why they will do it", I said and the smile of my grandma suddenly turned into a glare.

"What?!", she asked very shocked.

_______________________________________

Hey guys, I hope you liked it. If you did then please show me your love for this story by voting! Have a nice day