Chapter six: fixing

Delilah's POV:

I was pleaged with the same nightmare again after what happened at Casita. My instincts told me to leave Encanto immediately before worse things could happen but my father was against it.

He liked the village for it's close and loving community that wouldn't be the same somewhere else and we also didn't have a lot of money anymore after we bought the house.

Maybe he would change his mind as soon as we would lose the house since I refused to work as Antonio's nanny. Yesterday night taught me to keep my distance.

I watered the flowers from our tiny garden but then Dolores suddenly appeared. "I have to talk to you", she said very serious and I nodded. She didn't seem to be affected by my power so it should be safe.

I invited her inside and we sat down at the kitchen table. "I will get straight to the point. I want you to stop hurting my family", she said and I sighed.

"I never wanted to hurt your family", I said. "Even if that's true, you are hurting them. Isabela, Camilo, Luisa and Mirabel constanly argue about you and I'm sure them being at odds with each other caused the cracks in Casita", she explained.

"I think so too and I promise I will keep my distance", I said but her eyes widened. "The damage is already done. They are way too attached to you. You staying away would only hurt them more and make things worse", she said and I was confused.

My presence caused the destruction, so it should be solved with my absence.

"What do you expect me to do instead? The damage is caused because I got too close", I said. "So you have to fix it. They are hurt and upset about yesterday. Go to them, cheer them up and show that you care", she said.

"But then they will continue to argue", I said but she shook her head. "They will argue either way but they will stop being miserable. If you leave, their feelings will only get worse and trust me, it won't be safe for anyone", she explained and I bit my lip.

"You mean I can put everyone in danger, if I leave them?", I asked. "I know my family. If they want something, they get it and if they can't get it, they break it", she said and I gulped. What have I gotten myself into?

I was glad that Dolores wasn't affected by my power since she was the only level headed one of the entire family but I didn't like what she had to say. I was walking on very thin ice if I did what she told me and it was better no not walk on the ice at all but I was also afraid of what she said would happen.

Great. Now I had to try my best to please all of them but at the same time prevent them to get too jealous of each other.

I walked around the streets, to see if one of them would be around and I groaned when I saw Isabela first. Of course she would be the first one. She tried to help decorating the town with flowers but her flowers were very weak compared to what I've seen before.

Some were even rotten. Was her power getting weaker? The situation was worse than I thought. She also wasn't smiling anymore and her movements were more reserved than graceful.

"Isabela?", I asked concerned and she instanly turned towards me. "Delilah... It surprises me that you speak to me", she said looking down. "I'm sorry about yesterday. I was a bit harsh to you. You're right, you never did anything to me and instead of getting to know you, I judged you. I'm sorry", I said and her eyes widened before she pulled me into a tight hug.

"I forgive you. I also shouldn't have pressured you", she said and I was sure she was sniffing my hair so I quickly pulled away. "I would love to be your friend", I said and when I said the word 'friend' she looked disappointed but she still seemed to appreciate my words.