The sound of quick steps behind her make her feel sick. Garret stands upon hearing Miss Sullivan call her name once more. He walks around the desk and steps behind Harper but in front of Miss Sullivan. He holds his hands up, gesturing for her to halt.

"Ma'am, I'm going to ask you to back up, please. You don't have to approach hospital personnel like this. Is there something that I can help you with?"

"What? No." She shakes her head. "I need her." She points to Harper.

Said woman stares at the counter unmoving. Her hands grip the edge of the counter as her blood rushes through her ears. She can barely hear the conversation over it.

"Is there something specific that you need? There are plenty of other people on this floor that would be happy to help you. She has other duties to tend to. She is not in the trauma unit tonight."

"No." Miss Sullivan speaks firmly. "Let me explain something to you. I was told by two nurses and my son's surgeon that I would need to seek legal counsel in order to get my son's surgery signed off on! Because I am not his healthcare proxy. I would have to go through WEEKS of legal proceedings to get my son a surgery that would take a few HOURS!"

Harper's jaw clenches as she stares at the desk. Her eyes begin to glisten as Miss Sullivan yells, further drawing attention to them.

"Just for me to see that she works here! I do not have the time for this! Harper, you need to sign this paperwork for him! All he's done and you abandon him, take his son and leave him like this!"

"I don't know what you're talking about." Harper responds shakily.

She leaves the folder on the desk and steps from behind Garrett. She continues walking down the hall, avoiding the looks that she's getting from patient's family bystanders.

Deciding that she doesn't really care to take the long way, she'll walk this way and take the other elevator.

"I know you hear me talking to you!!" Miss Sullivan yells.

She tries to walk past Garrett and he puts his arm out to stop her.

"I can't allow you to follow her. While I understand that you're in distress, there is a protocol for things like this."

"My son's life is on the line!" She yells in his face. "I don't care about no damn protocol! You tell that little girl to come sign these goddamn papers! Stop acting like a kid and face what's she's done to him!"

Harper can hear her yelling even after she's down the hall. She presses the elevator button and rubs her her hands on her pants. Her breathing is becoming kind of labored and she doesn't know how long that she has until she breaks down.

The elevator doors open and she rushes inside. Upon doing so, she bumps into Hailey.

"Ou, ouch." Hailey holds her forehead.

"I'm sorry." Harper says through a thick voice.

"Harper?" Hailey looks at her concerned, no longer worried about the pain in her head.

"Are you okay? What happened?"

As the elevator doors close, Hailey hears the yelling. Harper begins to cry, sobbing into her hands.

Her head hurts. It's throbbing under the pressure of the sudden stress and anxiousness that's filled her.

Hailey pushes the fourth floor button and holds onto Harper to keep her falling to the ground. She unclips the keys from the band of her scrubs and waits for the doors to open.