-chapter eleven-

"you were really brave."

"Sorry can't save me nowSorry I don't know howSorry there's no way out"

Sorry I don't know how
Sorry there's no way out"

-listen before i go
billie eilish

•——kat woke up to thomas yelling at some birds to get away. she quickly sat up after noticing her head was laid across minhos chest. she felt weak, like she had been running far longer that she had the night before. "do you have to be so loud?" she groaned, rubbing her eyes at the bright light.

"sorry." thomas sighed, standing up and examining the area around them.

"are they gone?" newt asked, propping himself up against the pile of bags.

"yeah, i think we're safe for now." thomas said picking up his bag. "we should get moving. let's pack it up. aris get up. fry, winston. let's go."

winston groaned, falling back as he tried to get up. "hey man." frypan held out his head to help him stand. "you okay?"

once they were all standing and packed up, they began climbing out of the wreck they had found safety in in the darkness last night. they walked up to the front of what was once a bridge to see what looked like an abandoned city. the tall building were falling apart with dunes of sand piling up against them, car wrecks lying everywhere. "what the hell happened?" kat wondered as they walked down and through the city.

"i don't know. it looks like hell. always thought you'd end up here minho, but not me." newt sighed, making the rest of the group roll their eyes or laugh.

"wow thanks." minho said in a monotone voice, causing kat to show the smallest of smiles.

"it doesn't look like anyone's been here in a long time." frypan said, looking around the quiet abandoned city.

"i hope the whole world's not like this." aris said as they walked through a cleanish path.

"whoa whoa, hang on, stop." thomas said, causing the group to look back at them. "do you hear that?"

they all stood in silence, waiting for some type of noise. kat was about to say something when the sound of a helicopter slowly faded closer. "get down!" thomas yelled. "everybody hide!"

they got up looked around for some place to take cover in. "get in here!" frypan said, ducking down and sliding under a large slab that was sticking up out of the ground. the gladers all squished in under it, looking out as a large plane and two helicopters flew over them. "they're never gonna stop looking for us, are they?" minho sighed once the silence came back, haunting kats ears.