-chapter seven-

"the anchor? the fuck does that mean?"

"Know it's for the betterI never grew up with youAnd you're not my waiting room"

I never grew up with you
And you're not my waiting room"

-waiting room
pheobe bridgers

•——the group ran up against a wall in the outer section of the maze. thomas peered round the corner that supposedly lead to the way out. "griever?" kat asked, recognising the familiar sound

"yeah." thomas sighed.

"shit." chuck panicked. the young boy had been flushed from the run but you could see the colour drain from his face as the panic overcame him.

minho handed the small boy the metal key, "you take this chuck. stay behind us."

"it's okay." teresa smiled, pulling up her hair. "just stick with me."

"i'll cover them." kat nodded, turning the knife over in her hand, hoping it would calm some of the nerves racing through her viens. it didn't.

"okay once we're through, it'll activate and the door will open." thomas explained "alright we stay close, we stick together, we get through this. we get out now, or we die trying. ready?"

the gladers nodded, jumping up and down and pulling out their weapons. "alright. let's go!" thomas roared as the group ran out from behind the wall. they yelled as they ran forward, right towards the griever. the griever jumped over them, the boys hitting them with their sticks, pushing it towards the side of the path, towards the drop into darkness.

"look out look out!" someone shouted as the griever swung his tail. the gladers ducked, narrowly missing it. a scream came as one of the boys got picked up and thrown over the edge. kat didn't even get to see who it was.

the griever slammed one of its legs right next to teresa. kat ran forward, jumping and kicking it. the leg flew off, flying up, hitting chuck causing him to let go of the key.  it landed a few meters away from the group, rolling down the path. "the key!" chuck yelled, running back to try catch it

"chuck! the edge!" kat warned. the boy dived forward, grabbing the key just as it fell off. kat pulled teresa with her and the two girls ran and grabbed the boy before he fell down. "we got you chuck!" teresa said

"pull me up!" chuck yelled as the two girls quickly pulled the boy up back onto the ground, before the griever that was climbing up could reach him.

the boys had just pushed the griever off as two other climbed up onto the path next to the other three. "shit run!" kat yelled and they ran back towards the other gladers, yelling for help. the three ran past the group of boys who fought the monsters, and they ran right to the end of the path. the wall clicked as they stopped infront of it and it began raising. "it worked!" chuck cheered.