-chapter one-

"day one greenie, rise and shine"

"Out on our ownDreaming in a WORLD that we both knowIs out of our CONTROL "

"Out on our own
Dreaming in a WORLD that we both know
Is out of our CONTROL "

-till forever falls apart
ashe & finneas

•--"time to wake up kat!"

the familiar soft voice laughed as the girl fell out of her hammock.

"stop doing that!" she yelled up at the blonde boy, standing up on the cold hard ground.

"it greenie day!" newt smiled before walking off to walk more of the boys. kat smiled to herself. newt was always in a better mood the days a new boy would be sent up into the maze. she enjoyed seeing the boy perky, she knew he had one of the hardest times in here so it was always nice to see him smiling.

the atmosphere was always different on the so called greenie days. there was more laughter and excitement in people's faces. even though most had given up on anything out of the ordinary happening, it was always nice to hope.

kat looked across the glade, most gladers were already up, either getting food or working on their designated jobs. the sun hovered over the walls, casting a light on to the grass yet leaving shadows of the tall walls that stretched over the ground. a familiar sense of comfort falling over her. she knew this wasn't her home, but it wasn't that bad.

kat found her running t-shirt and pulled it on, aswell as her dark gray jacket before running towards the eating area where all the gladers ate breakfast. "what's on the menu today fry?" she asked the cook

"nothing exciting sorry, eggs and bread." frypan sighed, handing the the girl a small plate with her food. kat thanked him before making her way to her usual table. the sunrise lit the glade up in a beautiful golden light, the shadows on the walls around them slowly shrinking. she loved sunrises. there was no sadness in them, it was a new day, a new beginning.

"no! i need the new shoes!" minho shouted at ben, coming into earshot as kat walked up the table. "kat! tell him!"

"mhm. minho does need them, he tripped over himself a few days ago" kat grinned, sliding down onto her seat.

"i thought you said you won't tell anyone about that" minho said through his teeth to the girl who began laughing.

"kat, any bets on the new greenie?" gally asked taking a huge mouthful of his drink.

"i'm gonna say..." kat paused for a moment, trying to imagine what the new boy would be like. "maybe 16ish... average height, loud, probably thinks he's amazing."

"don't they always though." newt smiled sitting down next to his friends.

"very true." kat nodded. "but it's still worth watching gally doing some of my jobs. who's gonna show him the reigns this time? and please don't say gally. poor chuck still hasn't recovered."