-chapter two-

"he belongs to the maze now."

"I hope you find some PEACE of mind in this lifetimeTell them, tell 'em, tell them the TRUTH"

in this lifetime
Tell them, tell 'em, tell them the TRUTH"

-united in grief
by kendrick lamer

•——kat awoke slowly, yawning as her eyes adjusted to the bright light of the morning glade. she heard movement behind her and decided to turn around i. her hammock. she relaxed her furrowed face as she realised it was minho getting ready to go out into the maze at his hammock next to hers.

"you're awake?" minho said, turning around, his back facing her as he pulled off his sleep shirt, trading it in for his running outfit. kat tried not to smile as the boys flexing muscles as the top went over his head. she hated to admit it, but waking up to the strongest glader shirtless, wasn't a bad view.

"mhm." she mumbled, still not fully awake. she brought her hand up, checking her watch to see the time. "how come you didn't wake me?"

"thought i'd let you rest since it's your break day. don't worry, you didn't miss breakfast. it was late today." minho reassured her, turning back around and sitting in the wooden stool, pulling in his boots.

kat sat up in her hammock, a wave of dizziness coming over her all at once. the girl squinted her eyes, rubbing her aching forehead.

"woah, you okay?" a concerned minho asked.

"yeah, must just be dehydrated. i have a bad headache and all that."

"okay, well just drink a load of water..." minho said, pulling his bag over his shoulders. kat gave him a confused look, the boy showing signs of worry again. "or whatever."

he quickly added before beginning to walk away. kat smiled to herself, before raising her hand in salute, "yes sir."

minho scoffed, hiding the smirk on his face as he ran towards the gate.

˚➶ 。

since kat wasn't running that day, she was helping newt out in the gardens. she liked working in them. there was something so fulfilling about placing a seed into the ground and watching it slowly grow into a tall plant that would help them survive. it was usually peaceful work, light conversations between the gardeners. but today that didn't seem like that was the way it would be. thomas was helping out, and with that came a lot of questions.

"has anyone tried climbing to the top?" he asked his fifth question in the last minute. kat sighed heavily, looking up to newt as they cut more tomatoes of the vines.

"tried it." newt said, throwing the weeds onto the ground forcefully. "the ivy doesn't go all the way to the top. and besides, where are you gonna go from there?"