Academic Scholars

Steve continued to stare at the three of you, curious about his secret identify.

The glance that the three of you shared with each other practically said,

"we shouldn't break it to him now, he's already confused and upset enough with Creel and Max..."

You glanced at the clock on the basement wall. "Woah, would you look at the time! Probably should get ready for bed, Stevie." 

He turned to the clock and faced you again. "What, did you forget my file at school or something? You can run back and grab it tomorrow." He hunched over and rest his elbows on his legs.

"You know what, we did forget it at school." Robin said with a sigh, looking over at Nancy.

Nancy nodded and replied. "Yeah, you know what... we'll tell you about it tomorrow." She stood up fixed her skirt

"Tell me about what?" Steve asked with a shrug.

"Your file," Nancy started moving her chair towards the back of the room. "Can you guys help me? If we're all staying down here, we need to make some room. Mikes really cluttered this place up."

Nancy wasn't lying. You were going to tell him tomorrow morning, just not the information about the file that he was hoping for. He wanted to know his name...GPA... other secret identity crap, but the three of you were actually going to break the news about his non-existent file. 

After helping Nancy make some room, she brought down some t-shirts and sweatpants she stole from Mike and her Dad, and some pajamas for herself, you, Robin, and Max.

Everyone took turns changing in the bathroom and settled down on the sofa or carpet with a blanket.

The next morning, Nancy was up bright and early. You'd been woken up by the sound of her shoes on the stairs, and she carried down a stack of Eggo waffles. She'd already showered and gotten dressed. 

Everyone ate the waffles and got changed back into their clothes from last night. 

After Steve came out of the bathroom, he took the folders and put them into your bag. 

"So, when are you gonna tell me about my file?"

You, Nancy, Robin, and Steve had moved upstairs to tell him. Nancy put the plate of waffle crumbs in the sink before walking everyone up to her room as you all told him the truth.

Nancy burst into her room and Steve followed. 

"Maybe we should stay back for a minute?" You suggested, listening to Steve as he complained about his role in your mission.

"You guys are out of your minds if you think I'm babysitting again!" 

Robin nodded her head, agreeing with your idea.

Nancy turned to face him as she spoke. "First, they're not babies anymore! And second, Max is in real danger, she needs people around her!"

You and Robin smiled at each other. Funny...the two of you were becoming friends during a crazy, straight out of a movie, issue, and Steve's biggest problem was that he didn't get to play detective. 

"I know, but why does it have to be me?" He whined.

You two walked into Nancy's room, and Robins eyes lit up at the sight of her room.

"Oh my god! You have a Tom Cruise poster!" She stopped halfway and chuckled, a slight smirk across her face. "You have a Tom Cruise poster!"

Nancy turned and looked at the two of you as she rustled through her closet. "That's...old."

Robin laughed even more and dove to go through the rest of her stuff, but Nancy was quick. 

"Can you please not touch anything?"

Robin didn't listen.

"I just- I can't do anything helpful here, Nance!" Steve said, leaning on her desk. "Y'know maybe I can be helpful with this asylum director dude!?"

"Really? How?" You asked as you went over to Nancy's desk.

Steve shrugged. "I don't know, I could... I could turn on my charm!" He replied, snapping his fingers.

"Your charm? Really?"  You chuckled a bit as you lifted a picture frame from her desk. Inside the frame was one of the pictures the two of you had taken before the snowball.

Nancy shook her head. "You don't have the kind of charm we need."

"Ouch." Steve quietly said, turning to you. You shrugged and gave him a "shes right" kind of look. Robin started to move her way from Nancy's nightstand to her dresser.

Nancy sighed and started moving some of the clothes from her closet onto her bed. "Look, I did a little digging last night and it turns out that this Dr. Hatch is a distinguishing fellow of the American Psychiatric Association and a Harvard visiting scholar, okay! This guy is a lifelong student of the world, and if we're gonna win him over, we're gonna have to convince him that we are too! And just like him, that we are true academic scholars!"

Robin gave a breathy chuckle and turn around with Nancy's jewelry box. It played music as she opened it. "Holy shit, there's a little ballerina in here!" 

You smiled and laughed at her awe, but it was going to a bit more convincing for Steve to get on board with your plan.