Miss American Pie

The blinding neon lights from the sign spelt out "Donna's diner". There were a few cars  in the parking lot, most likely some teens looking for a good time during spring break, and a couple of staff members.

You and Steve got out of the car and went up to the diners entrance. Music played around the restaurant.

Your guess was right, the restaurant was scattered with your peers in booths and tables. Carefree.

An older waitress came up to the two of you. "Hello, welcome to Donna's diner. Just two in your party?"

You checked your watch. "Yeah, yeah."

The waitress nodded and grabbed two menus. "Does a table sound okay?"

"Actually, I was wondering if we could get a booth over there?" Steve pointed towards the emptier side of the diner.

The waitress looked to where Steve was pointing and smiled. She lead you two to the booth and placed the menus down.

You and Steve sat on opposite sides of the booth.

"You two are so cute together." The old waitress said, smiling at the both of you.

Your cheeks burned bright red, embarrassed by the waitresses' remark. "Oh no, we're not together-"

The waitress just kept going. "You two remind me of my husband and I when we started dating." You sighed and she smiled as she walked away. "I'll let you two of you pick out your order."

Steve chuckled at you and looked down at his menu. You smiled, but you still felt embarrassed. "It's kinda funny. Everyone just assumes we're together."

Steve smiled and look up at you. "I don't know, maybe we just look like we're together?"

You didn't answer. You just smiled. You were still embarrassed.

Steve went back to looking at the menu, but you weren't hungry. You just felt tired and worn out.

The music in the diner steered you through the silence. American Pie by Don McLean.

You started to whisper the lyrics under your breath. American Pie was a childhood favorite of you and Steve. You smiled as you quietly sung. "Did you write the Book of Love? And do you have faith in God above? If the Bible tells you so." 

Steve listened to your hushed singing and joined in, using a fork as a microphone. "Do you believe in rock 'n' roll? Can music save your mortal soul? And can you teach me how to dance real slow?"

You both smiled and you picked up a fork, the two of you dancing in your seats to the song. "Well I know that you're in love with him, 'cause I saw you dancing in the gym. You both kicked off your shoes. Then I dig those rhythm and blues!"

You were both laughing as you sung the last line, until the waitress came back over. You both hushed up and smiled.

"So, what'll your drinks be?" She asked, taking out a notepad, grinning at the two of you.

You made a half-smile face at Steve. You hadn't even looked at the menu, but drinks are easy. He ordered a Coke and you got a lemonade.

Once the waitress left, Steve tapped his fingers on the table to American Pie. "So, you seem to be getting along with Robin."

"You didn't think we'd get along?" You asked, fidgeting with your makeshift microphone.

"No, I didn't mean it like that, I just... I just wasn't sure you guys would be good friends."

You sighed, brushing off his comment. "I just wish I'd know her sooner. She seems really cool."

"She's not, trust me." Steve sarcastically said, smiling at you.

You put the fork down. "She'd always stood out to me, even back when you worked at that sailor shop in the mall!"

"That was months ago! Why'd you never talk to her before?" Steve asked, chuckling remembering the tacky sailor costume from Scoops Ahoy.

You shrugged. "I dunno, I just... didn't know what the teams would think of me."

Steve seemed confused and awestruck. "The teams? Like your cheer groupies and jock jerks?"

"I guess so. But if there's something I've learned in the past 24 hours, it's that they are so fake and I really couldn't give a shit about them!" You chuckled to ease the pain and sighed.

 "Chance never really loved me, except for make-out sessions and more popularity and shit! And the squad doesn't care about anything! Michelle's always been fake, but Chrissy would've been helpful. If she were still here."

Steve didn't want to bring up Chrissys death. Or the breakup. 

But there you were. 

Rambling on about both.

The booth was silent for a moment, but Don McLean kept singing.

Steve changed the subject. "So Robin really seems to like you. I'm happy that you too get along."

You took a deep breath and smiled. "Yeah... about that."

 You didn't think before talking. You mouth just never knew where to shut up.

"Have you ever felt like... like you feel something with someone? Someone you're not supposed to feel something with?"

Steve's face was dazed and confused. "What do you mean? Is this about Robin?"

You gulped and shook your head. "No, no. Just... just forget I said anything. In fact, I'm really tired and worn out from today, so I'd really just prefer to go to bed." You smiled. Everything was fine.

Steve sighed. "Well... if you say so."

You left the diner. Steve made sure to put a $10 bill on the table when you left, for the trouble with the drinks. 

The car ride finally wasn't silent and awkward. 

You and Steve talked and laughed and sang to the radio. By the time you were in your neighborhood, you didn't want to be left alone. Both you and Steve's parents were away for spring break, so you spent the night.