The Weekly Watchers

The three of you sat at microform readers, scrolling through different articles from 1959, around the time of the Creel murders. You quietly muttered an article entitled "Creel found Guilty of  brutally murdering his own Family."  

Robins machine stopped whirling and she spoke out to both of you. "Anything...juicy over there?"

You shook your head. "Nada."

"Nothing new." Nancy said with a sigh.

Robin nodded. "Yep, same here. Victor seemed like a normal guy...dead family...missing eyes...took a plea deal... sent to Pennhurst, blah, blah, blah, blah..."

Nancy shook her head and sighed again. Robins chair creaked as she leaned over towards Nancy's machine. "What are we looking for exactly?" She didn't answer.

You leaned towards her. "Nance?" You knocked on her machine, seeking her response and attention.

She leaned towards the two of you and nodded.

"Any  mention of dark wizards or alternate dimensions? Things in that vein" Robin asked, lifting a hand and gliding it through the air in a mysterious way.

Nancy shook her head. She sounded angry. "I don't know, okay!? It's starting to seem like this was all just a big waste of time. And the two of you are obviously bored so why don't you guys just call Steve to pick you up?"

You opened your mouth to rebuttal Nancy's remarks, but she wasn't done.

"And I mean, i'm not really in any danger here, so..." She shrugged and started to walk away, and you and Robin turned towards each other, simultaneously getting up and following after her. Nancy had gone into the library's basement. The sound of her boots on the stairs mixed with the thumps of your sneakers. 

You looked at Robin as the both of you approached the basements entrance. "Robin, I mean this in the nicest way, but please don't say anything that could piss her off anymore. We need her calm down, she's just upset about Fred and Vecna and all that spooky crap." 

She stopped as you reached the stairs and nodded, an understanding smile spread over her face.  "I'll try. I just have to make sure she knows something first." 

Robins shoes stomped quickly down the stairs as she leaned over the banister. "You do know that Steve and I are, like, totally not a thing, right?" You chased down the stairs after her and stood besides her.

"What?" Nancy turned to face the two of you. You nudged Robins arm and raised your eyebrows. She returned your gesture with a curious, yet sweet, smile. She continued down the stairs, ignoring your attempt to stop her from provoking Nancy any more. 

You followed Robin to Nancy's side, unsure if she'd know when to let Nancy have some time to clear the air. 

"So, I figure you and Jonathan are still going strong, cause you guys are going to college together, and you're one of those unstoppable power couples, but I... I just wanted to make sure you knew that Steve and I are just friends. Like, platonic with a capital P." 

Nancy just nodded. You crossed your arms as Robin went to one of the filing cabinets. 

"What happened to not pissing her off?" You whispered in her ear, looking back and forth between her and Nancy.

Robin just smile at you again before turning to Nancy. "Just in case that's adding any tension between us."

Nancy faced the two of you and shook her head. She was obviously tensed by the lack of privacy and space she had. "It wasn't."

Robin awkwardly chucked and grinned at you. 

You took a look at the articles in the cabinet until something caught your eye. You reached into the cabinet and pulled it out. "Holy shit. The Weekly Watcher. I can't believe they have this!"

"Don't they write about like, Bigfoot and UFOs?" Nancy asked, raising an eyebrow at you.

You grinned and lifted a hand. "First of all, UFOs are absolutely real. Bigfoot, I'm still on the fence about, but if spooky game wizards are real, who's to say Bigfoot's not?"

Robin smiled and chimed in. "Speaking of that, we're on the hunt for information about spooky wizards, and if anyone's gonna write about that, it's gonna be these weirdos."

Nancy curiously stared at the articles, before taking them from your hand. "Let's try it."

You all went back upstairs and put the articles in the machine, whirling through the stories. Nancy would read the headlines of every claim. "Ah, 'Elvis Cloned by Aliens.'"

Robin looked up at her and laughed. "You never know."

Nancy sighed and walked away, glancing around the library. You and Robin continued to flip through the articles. 

Robin stopped on a story and you two shared a matched expression. 

You lowered your voice and made it seem mysterious, reading it out loud for Nancy to hear. "Victor Creel claims vengeful demon killed family. The murder that shocked a small community."

She rolled her eyes and shook her head. "Ha, ha. Very funny."

Your turned around and looked her dead in the eye. "I'm not kidding. Look."

Nancy immediately walked over and leaned over you and Robin to see the screen. Robin started to read the paper.

"According to several insiders, Victor believed his house was haunted by an ancient demon. Victor allegedly hired priest to exercise the demon from his home." She shrugged and looked at the both of you. "Pretty novel for the 50's. Exorcist wasn't even out yet."

"Keep going." Nancy said, pointing at the screen. 

Robin nodded and cleared her throat. The machine whirled again as she read down the page. "Okay, so Victor claim this exorcism failed, but it angered this demon,which then murdered his family removing their eyes. Victor believed he was spared as a punishment."

"That's pretty convenient for Victor." Nancy added, scanning down the rest of the article.

You replied and looked at the girls. "Yeah, or super inconvenient. Victor was declared legally insane by the court, right? What if this is why? It sounds insane. Just didn't go public because-"

Nancy's eyes lit up as she cut into your sentence. "The plea bargain! The records were sealed."

Robin gulped and looked the both of you in the eyes, fearful of her realization. "What if a demon did invade Victor's  home? It's just, this demon wasn't any old demon."

Nancy took a deep breath. "It was Vecna."