22. The Labyrinth of Gedref (Part II)

En başından başla

Colette nodded as she walked up. "I'm afraid so."

"We're going to the forest, first thing in the morning. Maybe we can pick up Anhora's trail. Whatever it takes. You can come with us if you'd like, Colette."

Merlin nodded. "Okay, but you have to eat. You won't be able to help anyone if you're too weak to pass the test."

Arthur took a bite. "What kind of meat is this? It has a very strange texture."

"It's pork."

"This isn't pork. It's far too stringy. What is it? It's, erm..." He put down his spoon. "It's rat, isn't it?"

Merlin nodded. "Try not to think about it."

"Look at me. I'm being rude. Here I am, stuffing my face with this delicious stew when you're both hungry, too. Come on. Take a seat." He forced Merlin down into the chair and motioned for Colette to sit in another as he poured some stew into another bowl for Colette. "Eat." Merlin and Colette took a bite. "Mmm."

"It's actually pretty tasty," Merlin said.

"Mm. Well, I'm glad you like it. Because..." He fetched the pot of stew, "...there's plenty more."

Colette gagged, barely managing to swallow the stew in her mouth.

Someone knocked.

"Enter," Arthur said. "Morgana? Anne?"

"Anne and I hate to ask, but we were wondering if you had anything to eat..." Morgana trailed.

Arthur paused and Merlin and Colette smiled.

---

Merlin, Colette and Arthur searched through the woods.

"Lettie and I aren't entirely sure what we're looking for," Merlin admitted.

"You're looking for footprints or broken branches. Anything that would indicate someone passed that..." Arthur cut himself off, catching sight of Anhora. "Merlin! Colette! Merlin! Colette! He's here!"

Arthur ran off.

"Arthur?!" Merlin and Colette called.

Merlin and Colette didn't see where he went. Arthur continued chasing Anhora and came across Evan sitting next to a camp full of horded food.

"You?" Arthur said. "You're a thief."

"Wasn't that obvious when you caught me stealing your grain?" Evan replied in a questioning tone.

"Fortunately I have more important things to deal with."

"You didn't really believe that story about my children, did you?"

"What kind of man lies about starving children to save his own skin?"

"Your people starve because you let thieves steal their grain. That is why they doubt you."

"You don't speak for my people."

"Hey, your father would never have allowed himself to be fooled like that."

"You hold your tongue, or I will make time to teach you some manners."

"Your father would have had me executed, but you didn't have the stomach for it, did you, Arthur? And that's why he doubts you'll make a good king."

"You know nothing of what my father thinks."

"I think he wishes he had another son, one who was worthy of taking his place. A son just like his daughter. You shame him."

"Pick up your sword."

"The King must fear the day when you will take the throne." Arthur attacked Evan. "He fears you do not have enough strength to defeat his enemies. The King must wonder if you are even his son."