Chapter 1

4 am

4 am.

The clock at the end of the hallway ticked. The seconds passed with agonizing slowness.

Nessa tucked a strand of hair behind an ear and back into the bun that coiled at her neck. Her steps echoed down the hallway, staccato in the darkness that obscured the path toward a set of double doors. She swiped her badge against the pad, unlocking the next corridor. The silence, although eerie, provided a respite from the chaos of the Emergency Room where she worked as a trauma nurse.

A sound echoed from the darkness behind her. Nessa stopped.

She narrowed her eyes as she glanced behind her. Nothing.

It should be empty down here.

Her chest tightened, heart rate quickening. She continued walking down the hallway, her gaze drifting again to the clock above.

This time, the hands weren't moving.

Nessa closed her eyes. When she opened them, the hands remained still.

Strange, she thought.

A rush of air swept past her, causing strands of her hair to fall from her bun and into her face. She leaned into the wall, her balance faltering as her scrubs fluttered in the gust. As she steadied herself, a sensation slid across her cheek, reminiscent of fingertips. Gooseflesh rose on the back of her neck, and she shuddered, a chill coursing through her.

The touch vanished, leaving her standing in stunned silence.

Her eyes followed the flick of a shadow, and a flash of burgundy fabric slid around the corner of an adjacent hallway. Curiosity getting the best of her, Nessa stepped forward. With an intrepid glance behind her, she slipped around the corner and into the corridor, following the fabric.

There was no sign of the burgundy clad shadow.

An earthy scent filled her nostrils as she slid her hand against the sterile white walls. The air transformed around her, and her head spun with its freshness. She focused on her trailing fingers and realized they touched a smooth stone surface and not the familiar walls of the hospital. Nessa stopped, eyes wide. She swallowed, her heart leaping in her chest. When she looked back, it was more of the same.

She continued forward into the unknown landscape, anxiety tugging at her throat.

I must have fallen asleep.

The mottled stone wall stretched into darkness as her feet tapped on the reflective ivory surface of the floor, black veins snaking through it. In the dim light, she was unsure whether it was marble or stone. Torches lined the walls, burning with an uncanny golden fire. The flames burned lighter and translucent than anything she had ever seen.

A noise from ahead brought her attention back to her current predicament. She met a piercing blue gaze, reminiscent of the churning waves of an ocean before a storm.