Chapter 43: Metamorphosis

Začít od začátku

"That's my name." 

She clears a throat and takes a breath, pushing down all of her nerves as she turns around again to look at her friend. His own green eyes meeting hers, waiting for her to go on. 

Shifting from foot to foot she opens her mouth, and then shuts it again before changing stance so that she's standing straight with her hands behind her back. She takes another breathe.

"I just... I just wanna say thanks." 

"For what?" 

"You know, for helping me out and what not these past few months. You didn't have to. Like at all. But uh I appreciate it." 

She watches as he himself shifts awkwardly, glancing away as he rubs the back of his neck. 

"Yeah well, it's whatever." He mumbles.

She can't help but offer a bit of an awkward smile at him, finding humour in how they're both acting. 

"And um..." She glances away brielfy, trying to settle her nerves. "I've... I've really enjoyed hanging out with you." She looks to him now in earnest. "You're fun and uh, well... You're pretty great Hamato Raphael." 

He crosses his arms, his eyes still divererted away from her as a faint redness tints his cheeks. He keeps on his mask of neutrality. 

"Where's all this coming from?" 

The air drops all the sudden, the wind picking up to a gust. A flash of lightning illuminates the clouds as a roll of thunder passes by. Kayla's head snaps up to look at the sky, seeing a flash of blue amongst the clouds. 

It's nearly time. 

"Damsel?" 

She turns back to him, her ghostly green eyes slightly wide with shock. But in an instant her face is wipe clean of emotion and she regards him calmly. 

His brow creases, eyes narrowing. He's seen this look before and it's always when she's trying to bottle up whatever emotion she has raging on inside of her. He opens his mouth about to voice out his concern but then it happens. 

Kayla takes a couple of steps and flings herself at him, wrapping him tightly in a hug. The faint scent of coffee and fire washes over him as she cluthes onto him. Stunned, he slowly recipocates, wrapping his arms around her tall frame, his eyes closing as he allows himself to stay in this moment with her. 

They stay in each other's embrace for what feels like eternity but is only a few seconds. 

Then slowly she draws back, "you should go." She says quietly. 

Raph looks to her, baffled, "what?" 

"I- I think it's best for you to go right now." 

He frowns, "you called me out here." 

"I know." 

"Damsel what the-" He's cut off as a loud haunting roar fills the docks, forcing both teens to look up and see the beast. The large pale blue dragon, circles the heavens, but this time it's different. While in previous encounters it appeared mostly translucent, it now looks to be uncertain of it's form as it flickers between it's ghostly image to something more corporeal. 

Seeing the obvious enemy, Raph gets into a stance, unsheathing his sais. 

"Get out of here Raph."

His eyes go to her, "no you get out of here Damsel." 

"I'm not running from this, Raph you need to get out."