Chapter 42

We sit on the huge quilt in front of the fire place

We sit on the huge quilt in front of the fire place. It's gorgeous in here, oak floors, high ceilings, and there's floor to ceiling windows in the living area.

Tonight has been nothing short of perfect. I sat on the island in the kitchen as I watched him prepare dinner for us. He let me taste sauces and foods as he worked effortlessly in the kitchen. Cade knowing how to cook has been added to the list of things he's great at.

Home Alone is playing on the huge flat screen TV, that's mounted on the wall above the fireplace. But we aren't paying much attention to the movie, we've been talking the entire time. I've been basking in the attention he's been giving me all night.

"It's beautiful out here and peaceful. I would love to live where I can see all of the stars."

Cade is absentmindedly combing his fingers through my hair, massaging my scalp and I must admit it feels heavenly. "We lived here until I was 5, but mom is a city girl through and through. She told my dad she wanted to finish raising us inside of the city limits, so he bought her a huge house in the city, big lawn, huge garage, nosy neighbors, you know, the works." He laughs.

"He seems to love it out here." I pointed out.

Cade shifts, his cologne wrapping around me like a blanket, all warmth, cedar wood, and laundry detergent. "Yeah, but he loves my mom more to gift her her dream home. I'd like to be able to do that one day.. with you."

I feel my body warm. A small smile gracing my lips as I try to hide my face beneath his arms. "You can't say stuff like that." Him talking about a future with me warms my heart, squeezing it.

He chuckles. "Why do you get so shy with me? After everything I've done with you, to you."

I cower away again, fiddling with my fingers, but he grabs ahold of my hands, kissing my knuckles. His hand captures my chin, lifting my face so that I meet his eyes. I can feel his breath fanning across my cheeks at the closeness. The intensity in his eyes have me rooted in place. "He's an idiot." he doesn't have to say his name for me to know exactly who he's referring to. "For treating you the way he treated you. For making you believe you don't deserve the world. Autumn, you don't deserve anything less." He shakes his head, fluffy brown hair flopping against his forehead. "Anyone who mistreats you is a fucking idiot. It's their own loss, not yours."

I give him a small smile.

"Chin up, princess."

****

The sunlight beams through the thin curtains in the room we fell asleep in. This bed is more comfortable than the one at the football house. The room is huge, complemented by a huge oak wood door, the bedding is light blue with crisp white sheets. The walls are painted white with different shades of grays. I can tell that this room has been remodeled recently, it's cozy and beautiful like the rest of the house.