Chapter 13

Wednesday came terribly fast

Wednesday came terribly fast. My mandatory tutoring session was at 6:30, but that's not why I was dreading today. I maybe accidentally gave Alana the wrong impression that I wanted to go grab lunch with her. I've been avoiding, well trying to avoid her since I got back to campus. I've been trying all summer to avoid her as well, but she took summer classes so we were in the same town all summer.

When I first met Alana, it was casual. We both agreed it would be casual, but somewhere along the way, she got attached. She's always on my side like a fucking hip. Or at least, she tries to be every second she gets. She wants me to occupy her free time. I've been consistent with the "I have practice" or "I have tutoring" "I'm in weight lifting" "I'm going to take a nap", all of those excuses have been getting me by, except today. She was persistent.

But now as we walk into this place that sells massive Caesar salads, sandwiches, and other healthy foods I'm regretting it. I'm a football player, I need meats, not grass. Which makes me think back to a certain petite brunette. Who didn't hesitate agreeing to go eat unhealthy burgers with me or how she happily and unapologetically ate a sandwich by herself.

I don't know why I was comparing the two, Autumn and I know nothing about each other. I know she likes football and probably knows a shit ton about football, unlike Alana. The only thing she knows a shit ton about is all the expensive makeup at Sephora.

Which brings me back to the fact I don't want to be here. I would rather be at Blaze, stuffing my face with pizza, and laying across my bed for a nap before tutoring.

The cool air saves us from the August sun and she places a manicure hand around my bicep. Alana loves to make it appear as if we're a couple. She always stands super close or apart of her has to be touching me. She blinks up at me, batting her ridiculously long lashes. Her light blue eyes a stark contrast from the big brown ones I get to see every Monday and Wednesday.

"Are you going to get a salad with me today?" She asked.

"No." I simply say as I order a turkey sandwich. The only thing that seemed appealing on the bland menu.

She scoffs as she orders her salad, that has a ridiculous amount of vegetables and spinach, not lettuce. She likes to tell me how bread will make her put on extra unnecessary pounds. All I know is that her slimness is different from Autumn's. Autumn is petite and athletic and she works out. Alana's is more so for her Instagram. She wants to look slim enough for Instagram.

We make our way to a table, the chairs were metal or some shit, very uncomfortable. And cold. And too small for my frame.

"Are you excited about the game Friday?" She asked as she stabs her fork into her salad.

"I guess so."

"I'm ready for the season to be over already."

I just glare at her as she continues. "So we can spend more time together before the draft. Your NFL schedule will definitely be hectic."

"Spend more time together?" I ask crossing my arms cover my chest. "Why would we spend more time together?"

She frowns, eyebrows knitting together. "Okay cut the bullshit, what's your problem?"

"What is your problem? We aren't a thing, this isn't a thing. This is lunch with a friend."

"A friend that you've been fucking for two years." She rolls her eyes.

"My first mistake. Because you don't know what casual means." I suddenly didn't have an appetite. "Grab your salad, I have study hall." I say as I grab my keys.

I wouldn't dare mention tutoring or who I was being tutored by, to her.

****

Jett, Austin, Parker and Kolby were my roommates and teammates. Kolby is a freshman this year, but I'm sure he won't stay after this year. He's going to enter the draft as well. He's our safety, brown skinned guy, tall, built, super fast, and can hit. Hard.

Most freshman stay on campus in the dorms, but coach insisted on him staying with upperclassmen so he could be punctual to anything that had to do with football.

"Let me guess, it was Parker's turn to grocery shop?" Kolby rolls his eyes as he closes the empty refrigerator. I don't know why we even put him on grocery duty. We would starve if we always had to depend on him.

Parker McGee was our wide receiver. He always caught the sickest catches, like OBJ and no matter what situation he was in, he could catch the football, like Cooper Kupp. Parker was the real deal. But also a complete airhead and an asshole. A super ladies man, the schools playboy. He didn't give a shit about shit, very irresponsible.

"Yep." I say.

"We've got to stop putting him in charge of that." Kolby mumbles as he walks towards his room.

I look at the time on my phone. 6pm.

****

Autumn looks different today. Still... so pretty. But different. Her skin is glowing and her yellow sundress complements her tan skin. Her thick, brown hair is pulled back into a single ponytail, showing her perfectly round face, and high cheek bones. Her full lips are slightly scrunched as she focuses on her phone, absentmindedly tapping the expo marker against the white board.

I'm staring. I know I am but I can't help it. I've been staring since I met her weeks ago, yet she has so much distaste for me.

"So..." I say breaking the silence. "Will I see you at the game Friday?"

"I doubt you'll see me. There will be hundreds of girls there." She deadpans.

I roll my eyes. Because I'm sure she looks better than those hundreds of girls. Jersey chasers. They wear layers and layers of makeup, although it's hot as hell at the beginning of the season. The shortest shorts, cut up T-shirt's or shirts that show their cleavage. I used to think it was hot. That was freshman year me and that's how I met Alana. A girl who could care less about the game. They came to the game to seek out their prey.

"So that's a yes." I tease.

"Yeah, maybe I can teach you a thing or two about your game." She places her small hands on her hip.

So feisty. So small. So sexy.

"Oh yeah? What's that?"

"We'll see Friday. How's your working coming?" She changes the subject.

"Fine. Turning in my work is no longer the issue."

"What now?" She scoffs.

"Attendance."

"Do I need to walk you to class to make sure you're going?" She told her eyes. But I know she's just talking shit, but it isn't a bad suggestion.

"Maybe so. That would actually work."

"You're hopeless." She says as she turns around. She reaches above her head to write down a few calculus problems on the board. Her dress raises a little showing the backs of her thighs.

Is it hot in here or is it just me?