Chapter 28

The cool, fall weather has settled in Alabama and I'm extremely happy to start wearing my sweaters and leggings

The cool, fall weather has settled in Alabama and I'm extremely happy to start wearing my sweaters and leggings. The frat houses on campus are already decorated for Halloween, fliers decorate campus for upcoming events, and I swear everywhere I go smells of cinnamon or pumpkin pie.

The campus has been buzzing with energy and excited students, the homecoming game is coming soon, along with all of the festivities and visiting families.

I get a little jealous around this time. Seeing Chloe's parents or anyone else's parents for that matter, knowing I only have my dad. My dad did a great job in taking care of me, but he was young, a single dad going through medical school, so my younger memories are filled with him not being able to be around much, which is why I'm so happy I had Lucille.

I push those thoughts from my head as Morgan and I enter the coffee shop on campus. We order our drinks and take a seat in the back where Chloé is waiting on us. She looks different today. Her usual straight blonde hair is in a messy bun, she's wearing a long sleeved shirt and leggings, instead of something more vibrant and more her.

She gives us a weak smile as we sit across from her. There are bags under her eyes and her usual manicured nails has skin peeling away around the cuticles. I frown as worry take over my features.

"Chloé, is everything okay?" I speak first.

"Yeah, I've just been super tired lately." she simply responds as she sips her mocha latte. I part my lips to tell her she can talk to us, that we're here for her but she holds up her hand, stopping me from continuing. "Autumn. Please. I will talk to you guys, just not today, I'm exhausted."

I nod my head, I know that pushing the issue will only make her defensive. "You look beautiful by the way, you're glowing." Chloé says to me and I can see Morgan hiding her smile behind her drink.

I avert my gaze to my drink as I stir it with my straw. "I am happy."

A mischievous smirk plays on Morgan's face. "She disappeared with Cade last night."

I scoff. "I saw Jett go after you." she shrugged. "He was just keeping an eye on me."

"Are you fucking Cade?" Chloé whisper yells.

"Just his tongue." Morgan murmured and I choke on my drink.

"This is huge!"

That's what she said.

I cover my warm face with my palms. "The only one fucking a football player is you." I state and Chloé scrunched her nose before shrugging nonchalantly. "What are we dressing up as for Halloween?" I change the subject.

Morgan is going as a sexy school teacher, I am going as tinker bell, and Chloé is trying to back out. Maybe because she is trying to save money but I really want to be with my beat friends for Halloween. I offer to buy her a costume in which she said she would break my fingers if I bought her something. She assured us that she could come up with something and keep us updated before the party which is next weekend.