Chapter 26

Chapter 26

Saliva pooled in her mouth. In a reflexive moment she couldn't have stopped if she had even known it was about to happen, she was vomiting on the floor.

One thought went through her head: they were one second away from Phrixus picking the packet up from its corner to share with her, but she blew it.

He dropped it or ditched it to be at her side. "What the hell?" It was safe to say he wasn't a surefire first pick to lead or perform well in a crisis.

She sat up, pulled her hair back, and slid her bowl over. "Just a delayed side effect from inhaling water. Promise." Looking down at her side, relief overpowered the remaining nausea at identifying most of the regurgitated mess as water. "I will clean that up in a minute. What's more important is what you wanted to show me."

He was still, trying to assess whether it was smart to believe her and move on. Going back to the closet, he bent down and retrieved the packet. Putting one hand on the back of a chair, he tossed the pages onto the table between them. "I realized that if I couldn't trust you now, I would never be able to."

"You should eat," Astraea whispered. It seemed too good to be true. But she had seen it with her own eyes. They were close to touching the higher power. She wanted to wake up. "I should clean up."

It didn't take long to mop and disinfect the floor. Then she went to the bathroom to rinse out her mouth and even brush her teeth and wash her face again. The extra steps did little to make her not feel gross. Thankfully, she had her phone loaded with texts primarily from Serena to keep her occupied.

Returning to the table, Astraea watched him for awhile. He made no other comments about her neglecting her food, or the looks she would cast his way between every text she sent.

"I should go with you, on the trip," she brought up, setting her phone down. "Where to?"

"That's tricky," he said after chewing and swallowing a mouthful.

Then Astraea read him or thought the same thought at the same time. Either way, she wouldn't have been able to change the topic. "We can't."

Phrixus shook his head, dismissing her input. "That run-in was a one off. Plus this visit wouldn't be overnight. I want to check on my dad." He was giving in to his temptations. They happened to misalign with Serena's request.

Her hand was in the air above one of his hands when her phone vibrated. Ironically, it was Serena asking how her cousin was doing. She pulled back for the seconds it took to respond. When she looked at Phrixus again, his eyes were downcast into his empty bowl. The regret surging through him was palpable.

"Hey, I know you're worried," she started, placing her hand palm-up on the tabletop as an invitation for assurance. He didn't take it. "But remember that Serena, Zane, and Deacon are still there with him. He's not alone." Mentally, she had to repeat to herself that it was true. "You don't want to risk putting them in danger."

"You're right. Right." It wasn't convincing. He looked between her and the untouched bowl in front of her.

She pushed it toward him. "Can you eat this? I just brushed my teeth."

"I'm surprised you haven't asked me about the booklet here." He eyed it as he spooned the food.

Her phone vibrated a few times back to back. "Huh? Oh, I guess I forgot." She stared at her phone and the pages, but kept her arms folded on the table. "What is it?"

"Read it. I'm going to call Zane." He stood from his chair.

"Wait!" Astraea hopped to her feet. "I- I have to tell you something first."