Chapter Twenty-two

Lydia glanced at the diamond encrusted gold band on her fourth finger and smiled. They had chosen something simple and unique even though they were anything but. She tugged the ring off her finger and stared at the smooth inner gold surface to the engraved letters L ∞ M. Every time she saw those letters an impish smile would crawl her lips.

Toran watched her with a smile. “Calm down, Lydia. It’s not a hologram.”

Lydia left the window and walked to Susannah, pausing to cuff Toran’s head. “I guess not.”

He chuckled reaching for his lime green mug of coffee. “When is the wedding?”

“Four months from now.” Susannah said, shuffling a deck of cards. “I can’t believe this. You’ll abandon me.”

“No. I can never do that.” Lydia replied, burying her face into Susannah’s neck, giggling along with her.

Toran watched as Lydia took the cards Susannah expertly dealt them. “Italian-Indian, right?”

“Actually no. He’s Indian-Italian.” Lydia corrected.

He scowled. “Is there a fucking difference?”

Lydia snorted, then snickered at his jibe. “I’m not going to argue with him again before I get headache.” She said to Susannah. They played cards, sitting in the living room that evening. She had a morning shift while Toran and Susannah’s began in an hour. It was 7:30PM. After that round finished Susannah spoke, gathering the cards into a little pile, “We’ve to get going, Tori. I don’t want hailstorm rained on me for tardiness."

Lydia snorted jokingly, arranging the card. “Don’t worry about Brennan sacking him. His sweetheart would never do that.”

Susannah paused.

Toran stiffened.

Both turned rigidly to Lydia as her words hung like wet clothes in the air.

Susannah turned stricken eyes to him. “You’re sleeping with Brennan?”

He didn’t answer.

“Toran? Answer me.”

“Yes.” Came his dejectedly soft answer, not meeting her gaze, ashamed of what he’d see there.

Susannah turned astonished eyes to Lydia sitting silently on the floor. “And you knew about this?”

Lydia nodded slowly. “Yes.”

Susannah’s green eyes narrowed accusingly at her. “Yet you didn’t tell me.”

Lydia and Toran fell silent.

“Well don’t just sit and stand there. Answer me!” she snapped.

“There isn’t much to say, and it wasn’t my story to tell.” Lydia replied softly.

“Clearly it was yours to spill.” She shot scornfully, turning to face Toran with disgust and sadness. “And you, what are you thinking? Do you know the implications of what the two of you are doing? How much his reputation could be damaged? This isn’t Lydia and Martin’s kind of PR damage. This… is…despicable. Do you know how much tongues will wag. The scandal of two men together?"

Lydia frowned at her, narrowing her eyes. “Why are you getting worked up over nothing –”

A dry scornful cackle left Susannah, “Of course it is nothing to you. You fucked your lover’s sister without a second thought.”

Toran glanced up to Lydia with slightly widened eyes, then stared at Susannah.

Lydia laughed harshly and bitterly at the absurdity of it all. “I was wondering when you were going to bring it up. Have at it then, since Toran and I committed the same sin. Go on!? We didn’t commit it with both eyes shut. Go on, report us for the crime. Being in jail is better than this shit. Your sanctimony is laughable. Because your body doesn’t tempt you that way." Something mean lit behind her eyes,"Or maybe it does and you suppress such shameful urges.” Her knuckles caressed Susannah’s pale soft cheeks, with a smooth taunting smile as pink flooded her cheeks, and touched her lips. “You are a hypocrite, and a coward. Not that I can fault you."