Chapter Eleven

“Why are you grinning like that?” Lydia asked irritatedly, watching Susannah standing next to her in the locker room grinning from ear to ear.

“How could I possibly not!? It’s not every day one gets to witness live audio pornography performed in their home on a Sunday afternoon. Wicked.” She snickered “Ebere practically fled the house after she couldn’t deal with the cringing anymore. She told me she’ll never look you in the eye as before.”

Lydia gave her an amused/irritated look. “And what did you do?”

“I had to man the fort. Even with one solider down.” She replied airily. “Quite difficult. A nerve-raking experience.”

Lydia chuckled, moving into the kitchen. Her eyes moved to Toran and his poker face, busy prepping the vegetables for Julian. Lydia greeted him with a smile and a poke on his side, while Susannah and Julian kissed cheerfully on the cheek. He asked her to taste him food and she happily complied.

Lydia drew Toran aside and watched him with narrowed eyes. “Someone is in a good mood, on a Monday morning.”

A dry laugh left his lips. “No one is cheerful on Mondays. There’s always an aura it has. Gloomy… nauseating. Unlike Fridays.” Came his thin reply.

“Saw you and Brennan slip into the elevator together with the discretion of an ill- trained assassin.” She began coyly. “We both know it was not to discuss the night weather.”

Toran stiffened. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

Lydia stared, then frowned. “Don’t insult my intelligence.”

“And I’m not.” he cut off, then sighed. “I’m sorry, okay…I had a long night, and I’m exhausted as fuck.” His voice lowered as he ran a hand over the net covering his curly hair. “You’re right. In your own creepily weird way. Not that its’s any business of yours.”

Her eyes widened like her smile.

“You can’t tell a soul.” He whispered fiercely “Not even Susannah.”

“What’s going on?” Susannah asked.

Toran and Lydia froze for a moment. Lydia turned to her with a wicked smile. “I was telling Toran about yesterday.”

Susannah’s green eyes widened in bewilderment. “My God, Toran… you would not believe what happened.”

Toran cast Lydia a sideways glance. “I can only imagine.”

“Turlough. Here’s the order to table 029.” Hilda called out. “And Toran, I’ll use your flesh for mincemeat if you don’t get here now. I need these vegetables prepped.”

At her words, the trio dispersed effectively.

Susannah left the kitchen, carrying the tray to the designated table. “Here you are, sir.” She said with a gentle smile. “Enjoy.”

A pair of grey eyes twinkled with a smile. “Thank you. Indeed, I shall.”

“Mr Duncannon, Good afternoon.” She said with a courteous smile. “How are you doing?”

“Quite well, thank you.” He answered.

She beamed and made to leave when he stopped her. “Excuse me?” Susannah turn back to him with a slight concerned frown. “Yes, sir?”

Carolan appeared hesitant for a moment; mustering his courage, he asked. “If it’s not too of a bother…will you like to go out sometime?”

She stared at him with a mild look of surprise. An artless smile stretched her lips. “I’d like that very much.” She replied with a soft chuckle.