Chapter Thirteen

Lydia walked down the not so crowded street with her vapor pen between her lips releasing thick scented smoke from her nose and mouth simultaneously, thinking about nothing in particular.

Susannah had a date with Carolan. She liked him. He was lovely and nothing at all like that cowardly cunt she dated a while back. Her phone dinged, signaling a text. She stopped to look at it. It was from Martin.

“Would you like to have dinner with Savitri and I
next tomorrow?”
        ~Martin

Lydia scowled, bringing the pen to her lips and took a long drag, exhaling slowly. The smoke clouded the screen of her phone as she began typing:

Can’t. I have work to do.”

His message came a minute later.

“Sorry. I meant next tomorrow night.
My parents have been gone for a month,
and the house is terribly lonely for her.”
~ Martin

Lydia stared.

“Doesn’t she have friends?”

“She does. But she asked that you show.”
~ Martin

Lydia took heavy drag of the coconut infused nicotine and exhaled tightly. She had a bad feeling about this. Well…not exactly bad. Just a feeling.

“You still there?”
~ Martin

*Sigh* "Okay, I’ll come.”

Great.”
~Martin

“8:00pm will be alright, yes?”

“Alright. Will tell her. Love you.”
~Martin

Lydia snorted and placed the pen between her lips, turning off her phone and disappeared into the crowd.

Toran was about to leave but stopped to exchange greetings with a few workers on duty that evening.

“Do you know a good place to take a girl, Toran?” Alder asked.

“You can’t ask me. I’m totally useless.” He answered unapologetically. “Never really done such a thing.”

Alonzo scowled. “Then where the hell do you go to then?”

Toran gave a mindless shrug. “Bookstores. Get a good book, order pizza with some great mish-mash. My typical night. I can give you examples if you want.”

“Piss off. I wonder how your girl takes it.” Alder joked.

Toran hid his uneasiness behind his laughter. “No. There’s no girl.”

Alonzo scowled slightly at that. “Why?”

“Just not interested.” He said carefully choosing his words. “I’ve never really been asked, and when I do it always ends badly.” His phone dinged. He fished it from his pocket and read the message:

Meet me at the pinnacle.”
~Brennan.

He turned off the phone and slipped it back into his pocket; then bid the rest goodnight, stealthy making for the elevator. It was 9:30pm. He thought, hitting the button for the pent-house. He tried marshalling his thoughts as the elevator shot upwards.

The steel doors slid open on its’s arrival to his destination. Toran stepped into the cold room. He glanced to his left as the heavy evening wind blew in from the windows tousling his hair, chilling his scalp.