Chapter Twenty

They didn’t see or speak to each other until spring. He didn’t call her, nor did she him. It was like he’d forgotten her. Wanted to forget her. She’ll admit she has been a serious pain in the ass, but that was her; and there was nothing she could even do about it.

That was the reason she was currently sitting cross-legged on the couch, staring aimlessly at the high ceiling counting how many wooden slabs were joined. She eventually gave up at the fiftieth piece and groaned in frustration. God, she was bored. Susannah was staying at Carolan’s.

Eyeing the metal canister of her vapor pen sitting next to the bottle of coconut flavored nicotine, Lydia quickly averted her gaze from the temptation. She had been trying to quit smoking – but one glance at the golden cylindrical canister with the black button, she could feel her resolve shattering.

One puff. That’s all you need. Her mind told her.

More like one bottle.

Lydia eyed the canister again. The temptation so strong she actually imagined the thick, smooth smoke rolling on her tongue, the bubbling nicotine heating up as she drew hard on it. Her body relaxing on the couch puffing lazy smoke rings and inhaling them back.

She really prayed that when she had children that none of them would inherit her bullshit. That was if she did quit.

Lydia saw her hand reach out against her own will for the already filled canister. "Tomorrow,"she promised through clenched teeth. "I’ll quit tomorrow." She brought the canister and pressed the button, about taking a greedy, life-giving, intoxicating drag when the doorbell rang.

Lydia glanced at the door, then to the canister, and back to the door again with dumb resignation. She released the button with a sigh. “Just take the bitter cruel sign as it is, Kanyimara. God doesn’t want you to waste away yet.” She muttered wearily on her way to the door.

She opened the door with a slight frown at the unwanted intruder who for once she was grateful for.

Savitri stood in front of the porch with a look of uncertainty on her face. “Hey.”  She whispered with a wane smile. “May I come in?”

Lydia stared at her for a full minute before pushing the door wider. “Sure.”

Savitri entered leaving Lydia by the door watching her in surprise. She closed the door and padded silently into the living room to see Savitri standing there, looking around.

“Nice house.” She complimented.

“It’s not mine.” Lydia stated standing a feet away watching the younger woman with an impenetrable face. The silence deafening with tensed nerves.

“I honestly didn’t think you’d let me in.” Savitri spoke a little while after. “Your escapade with Vikram, and all.”

Lydia said nothing, her eyes never left Savitri’s face. “Why did you come then?”

Savitri tangled her fingers together, hiding her nervousness and embarrassment, staring silently to the floor.

“Did Martin tell you to see me? Or was it something you decided to do on your own.”

Savitri’s eyes flew to Lydia in a frantic sweep. “No! I came on my own.”

Lydia nodded slowly.

“I’m sorry.”

Lydia watched her and felt pity and annoyance at herself for her sanctimonious attitude. Savitri wasn’t totally at fault. What had transpired between them couldn’t be blamed on the wine; it was of mutual consent. Her arms stretched out for a hug, waiting of Savitri with a soft smile. “Come on…before my arms grow tired.”