Chapter Eighteen

Although Lydia worked here before, coming back to work left her feeling a little green and giddy at the prospect of seeing the people she considered family. She left the locker room in a clean, well ironed black uniform with Brennan’s golden emblem engraved at the left side of her breast, feeling like a new person. Her hair had been tucked into two sophisticated buns behind her head, leaving the edges to tease her nape.

With a hopeful sigh, she pushed the door open and paused when the occupants of the kitchen froze. Hilda’s cry and Toran’s excited bear hug and the general happy cheer made her embarrassed and happy.

“Oh, Lord be praised. She’s returned.” Hilda beamed. Her cheeks red from happiness and steam. She reminded Lydia of a painting of Santa she saw once at the mall.

“Yes o. I’m thankful for that.” Lydia said joining the happy dance that had the people laughing and cheering. Toran hugged her from behind. “And I promise to be a good child.”

“Let’s see how well that goes.” Hilda said good-naturedly, returning back to her work.

Lydia turned about in Toran’s arms to stare at him, and saw the excitement on his face. Her eyes narrowed playfully at him. “Bia nwa a, you are still growing tall, eh?”

He mimicked her expression. “Of course. Three months is a long time.”

Her hand caressed his net covered hair, then tugged him down for a hug and whispered into his ear. “How is the stuff with you and oga?”

“It’s going well, I guess.” He answered a bit stiffly.

“It’s alright.” She whispered looking at him. “So you came to my house and didn’t wait for me to come back before leaving m gbo?”

Toran chuckled. “I waited quite a while before Susannah told me you went to church. She later told me that you came back three hours later.”

“Toran, I need those vegetables prepped now.” Hilda spoke, breaking the conversation. “Playtime is over. Work. Now.”

“Alright. Fuck.” He muttered grudgingly under his breath before glancing at Lydia with a concerned frown. “Susannah didn’t come to work today.”

“She’s not well. Had to do with something she ate. Her boyfriend is with her.” Lydia replied.

He nodded. “You think this one will work?”

“Absolutely.” She assured. “That’s partly the reason I’m not calling home. Can’t risk hearing something I can’t unhear.”

His face wrinkled at the imagery. “But she’s sick.”

“That has never been an obstacle.”

“Toran!” Hilda barked warningly this time shooting him a gimlet stare.

He sighed as Lydia left him then took his place next to the huge pile of vegetables washed earlier. “You always want me near you at all times, Hilda, why? I’m not the only busboy here.”

Hilda smacked his head with a string of Swedish. “You don’t want to work, hand in your resignation then”

Toran glared irritatedly at her as he reached for the fat carrots and a wickedly sharp knife.

Lydia moved to the trays of food that needed to be served with a chuckle as Toran and Hilda argued, took a tray and left the kitchen.

“By the way. I’ll need you to take this up to Brennan.”

“And what is Esiri doing?” he shot back in annoyance.

She waved him off airily whilst plating the food, covering it with a steel, dome-shaped lid. “She’s occupied.”