Chapter Five

Lydia smiled at the fast-rushing footsteps behind her and knew it belonged to one person.

Susannah, wide-eyed ran in front of her blocking her path, her moss green eyes glittering with anticipation of last night. “Spill.”

Lydia gave her a mocking glare. “Good morning to you too.”

Susannah waved her off with a scoff. “Oh please, this isn’t elementary school.” She neared Lydia. “How was it? Not disastrous, I hope.”

A slight frown and narrowed expression feathered Lydia’s face. “No. Of course not. It was good. We had dinner and took a drive down the highway.”

Susannah frowned after waiting a full 15 seconds for forthcoming information. There was none. “That’s it?”

Lydia mirrored her expression. “Yeah. Whatever did you think would happen? Kiss him? Invite him over?”

“Logically.”

Lydia gave her a droll stare and scoffed, dumping her clothes in her locker, then pulled out a crisply ironed black uniform with the hotel’s logo embroidered in gold thread and a white apron. She put it on and turned to Susannah who zipped it up. By the time Lydia came home Susannah had been out cold. Susannah’s shift had ended while Lydia was to resume for hers, that was the reason why they’ve only seen each other now. “I don’t do that.” She retorted flatly.

“Of course. Yet you went out with him.” Susannah stated drily.

“A necessary evil. The only way to get rid of him.” She added at Susannah’s disbelieving stare. “He also promised not to see me again. Part of our bargain.”

“How insanely naïve of you for someone so astute.” She remarked drily.

Lydia said nothing and pulled her hair away from her face into a serviceable knot at her nape with a rubber band, then reached for her white apron. She eyed Susannah untying hers and asked, “Getting off?”

Susannah pulled the band off her hair, letting the thick full raven tresses free. “Yeah. My shift ended a few minutes ago.”

                            ⸙

“So…how was last night?” Savitri asked, bored, looking out the window of Martin’s car swiftly passing depressing buildings and flaccid faced people.

“Fine. Nice, even.” He replied. “Didn’t do much except drive and get dinner at some restaurant.”

Savitri gave him a quizzical stare. “Only?”

He scowled, looking offended at the word. “What else is there?”

She sat upright; her eyes identical to his widened a fraction in bewilderment. “You’re not serious.”

He gave a withering stare which only succeeded in eliciting a cackle from her. “I expected more from you, Gian, considering your pedigree.”

Martin scoffed. “Being Italian and Indian has nothing to do with that. It’s obscene not to mention horribly clichéd.”

“Please.” She dismissed. “You sound like Rahvel.”

He chuckled. “Lydia’s decent. She wouldn’t let me touch her. The closest I got in flesh contact with her was a pat on the shoulder.”

Savitri scowled disapprovingly. “So, she’s a prude.”

“Not really. A person of high moral standards more like it.” he replied with a rueful smile.

“Basically a prude.” Savitri maintained stubbornly.

Martin sighed at his sister’s obstinacy and decided to ignore her lest she fouled his morning with an argument. They arrived the company and parked in the underground garage. “Get out.” He said coldly.