Chapter Twenty-one

“What’s this I hear about a turned down proposal, Gian?” Rahvel asked in Italian, burping her chubby baby then gently set the empty feeding bottle milky white from breastmilk.

“What proposal?” his mother asked in surprise casting startled eyes to Martin sitting a few feet away from her.

“He proposed to Lydia and she declined.” Rahvel said.

“Why?” Victtoria cried incredulously.

“I don’t know.” He answered stonily, still smarting.

Rahvel carefully wiped her face of expression and made her voice neutral, fighting the laughter in her voice. “And how did you propose? With flowers? On a date?”

“During sex. Specifically after we orgasmed.” was his blunt reply, directing his annoyance to his fingers.

Rahvel helpless to the situation, cackled heartily on everyone’s behalf, ignoring her mother’s chiding glare. Savitri grinned and the baby chortled. “Oh, Deo mio. That was classic of you, Gian. I expected nothing less.”

Martin’s dark gaze found her tear-brimming ones. “Shut up. It was something done in the heat of the moment.”

“So...you didn’t mean to propose but got rejected anyway.” She snickered.

He gave an impatient smile, thinly veiled with annoyance. “At times, Rahvi, you can be truly aggravating. If not for that baby in your arms I’d strangle you.”

“And you wonder why she rejected you.” Rahvel continued, undaunted. “Who proposes during sex?”

“Some people find it romantic enough.” Savitri interjected, flipping through a magazine.

“Thank you, Celia.” Martin said.

Rahvel snorted. “So you’d like to be proposed in that way like a common whore, Celia?”

Savitri shrugged. “Why not? If certain conditions are met.”

“I forgot you too far gone in scapegrace to care.” Rahvel replied emphatically.

“Your continuous taunting aren’t really of any help, Rahvel.” Victtoria scolded.

The baby’s chubby fingers slapped softly at Rahvel’s lips causing her to grin at her child. She reached down to capture the little delicate fingers between her lips. “Even Lucia’s telling me to shut up, Martin. Everyone is against me and I have nothing. No one.” She cooed in a childish voice, mimicking a face that had the baby utter a childish squeal of delight.

Rahvel glanced to her brother with soft eyes. “Wipe that expression off your face, Martin. She’ll come around.”

“Then you don’t know her well enough.” He replied tiredly, rubbing his eyes with a hand. “Her obstinacy is irritating.”

“Then allow me to offer my prayers for your unborn children in advance.” Victtoria said unsympathetically.

“Why did you do such a thing, Lydia? Are you fucking mental?” Susannah cried
.
“Bia!” she snapped.

They sat in the kitchen with two bowels of cereal, a carton of milk and a dish piled high with cubes of crystal white sugar and two different boxes of cereal between them.

Lydia looked down to her bowel watching the coloured rings float lifelessly on the sea of milk; some soggy from osmosis.

“Why did you refuse?” Susannah pried, her hair parted into two long braids, staring at her best friend and housemate incredulously. “Did he do anything to upset you.”