85 ⭑ Burn Baby, Burn

Start from the beginning

Harlow wrapped his arm around my shoulder and we ventured through the mall, Ollie skipping along in front of us.

"Oh, oh! Can we get ice cream?" He exclaimed, pointing toward the shop.

"Yes, Ol." I laughed, gearing our walking path toward the treat parlor instead.

There was a family in line already and we stepped behind them, both Harlow and I keeping Ollie closely in front of us for safety. But, after a few seconds, I noticed the father of the group, staring at him in a distasteful way, as if he was grossed out by the idea of an eight year old boy wearing a skirt.

That was what my mind jumped to anyways.

I quickly looked away though and tried my hardest to mind my own business while Oliver picked out ice cream.

"I want cotton candy." He decided.

"Good choice, I'll get that too." I said, ruffling his hair as we moved forward in line again.

Harlow pulled out his wallet but I heard him scoff something under his breath in an angry tone, "Oh my... stupid... fuckin..."

Oh no.

"Just ignore it, baby." I whispered, wrapping my arm around his back and rubbing it to calm him down.

"Mhm..." Harlow sighed heavily through his nose.

However, the man looked back again, even purposefully and had the nerve to shake his head in disgust.

Bigots. Always sticking their noses where they don't belong.

I was able to push past even that, but Harlow pressed his lips to the side of my head, pretending to kiss is just so he could whisper, "I'm gonna go to fuckin' jail, today, Cher--"

"We're gonna be here for all of two seconds. Don't make a scene." I whispered, looking up at him, "It's really not worth it."

"I know." He kissed my forehead and smiled down at Oliver when he looked up at us.

We moved up in line and the family in front of us ordered for their seven or so kids. They ordered so much ice cream that they had to wait off to the side for it, only giving them more time to stare.

Once they were out of the way, Ollie skipped up to the counter and put his hands on it, "Cotton Candy, please!"

"Oh, I'm so sorry, we're out..." The woman said with a sight frown, "But we do have sherbet and other flavors similar if you're interested--"

"What the fuck do you mean you don't have it, it's right there, I'm looking at it." Harlow snapped, pointing through the glass to the obviously half full container of cotton candy ice cream. And despite his angry aptitude that I didn't appreciate, I was confused as well so I stayed silent.

But just as she spoke, a taller woman came and took the cotton candy ice cream away. The entire container, "We just had a custom order for that ice cream. A cake. So, it won't be available."

"Oh don't you dare fucking move," Harlow warned the other girl, making her stop in her tracks with confusion. He looked over at the staring family next, "Did you fucking order this shit?"

Oh, no, no, no.

"Pardon me?" The father asked.

"Did you order the goddamn cotton candy ice cream right after you heard us talking about it, answer me, yes or no?" Harlow snarked.

"Well considering that this is a place of business and I was just in front of you in line, I think you can make that assessment yourself." The man laughed throatily but I could tell by the smug look on his face that he was getting satisfaction from taking away Ollie's joy.