56 ⭑ Axel

"A tear in my brain allows the voices in. They wanna push you off the path with their frequency wires..."
Hearing Damage by Thom Yorke.

✰ ✰ ✰

"I'm telling you, Harlow is gonna be real pissed off when he doesn't wake up to your face, toots

"I'm telling you, Harlow is gonna be real pissed off when he doesn't wake up to your face, toots."

"Oh, hush. Once he sees these flowers and I drop my panties, I bet you one hundred bucks, all will be forgiven..." In my boasting hand was a bouquet of red roses, freshly picked from the infamous Manhattan summer flower festival.

It was 10:30 in the morning and chilly as Koi and I walked around the local park, making note of all the pretty arrangements and colorful booths that shone in the sun.

Flowers and all floral-scented, patterned, or printed things were on display for sale. Candles, blankets, shirts, perfumes, food made from flowers, they had it all.

"You don't at least wanna call him?" Koi sounded like that was what she was advising me to do, but she was good at navigating conversations or suggestions and making me think that they were my idea.

Tricky girl.

"I left him a text that said I would be home at eleven, he knows. Besides, this is what a healthy relationship is supposed to be like. We don't have to be with each other every day. I'm getting him these flowers because I'm proud of him for taking a baby step. He's been handling his anxiety pretty well lately, I want him to know it doesn't go unnoticed." I explained, linking elbows with her and smiling at a little girl I saw lugging around a big sunflower.

"Does it bother you at all that he's so... attached to you?" She asked curiously, giving me a side-eye.

"Some days. I'd be bonkers not to go a little nuts from constant chatter from someone like Harlow, but most of the time, it's not something I think about too much. He's my best friend, not just my boyfriend. If me telling him where I'm going so he could keep me safe is what he needs, that's not a problem with me, especially if it's for good reason..." One side of my mouth fell, "Do I hope this lasts forever? No. And will one day my opinion change? Maybe. But, for now, I'll have to deal 'cause he's my catnip and... I'm a fat cat."

"He's your catnip and you're a fat cat?" She laughed.

"Well, saying 'he's like my cocaine' just makes me imagine myself itching and goin' a little nuts like people on coke do. N' it sounds weird. Catnip fits more, cause when a fat cat is on catnip, they're just happy and they lay on the ground in their own drool..." I said dreamily, gesturing out with my hand, "I most definitely drool around him."

"You're lucky I love you. You're fucking weird."

I laughed and knocked my head against hers, resting it there lazily as we walked around some more.

I spotted a booth with flower shaped glass light-fixtures and gasped, unlinking my arm with Koi's to grab her hand and drag her along.

There were small, bedside lamps in the shape of wilted flowers, big chandeliers with swirling lilies and gold leaves, and even white glass bulbs molded into a slow blooming rose.