33. Daylight

📍 Coast of Italy

Spencer

I pushed that damn car to the max, speeding through corners, breaking later than usual. The downforce was insane here at Monza this year. I'm not sure if the winds were heavier than years past but damn... never would I have ever imagined starting front row in an F1 race. EVER!

Sure, I started from P2 in Nascar, but F1 was a whole other animal. Open-wheel racing was all-in-all a different sport than what I grew up around. But speed was speed and I harnessed it like a pro today out on that track.

Standing here in the media pen, the questions were all over the place, from me being a woman in the sport to beating out the Ferrari's on their home turf.

The nice lady in front of me was dressed in a white blouse and a red pencil skirt, Ferrari cap adorning her brunette hair. Cute.

"So Spencer, first off, welcome back." I nod my head with grace in order to thank her. "This is the first front row position for Lotus this season. Does this bring a lot of pressure onto you in hopes to hold that position and use it to secure a win this weekend?"

I smile at her graceful question keeping the focus on the sport rather than my gender unlike many others. "For sure, I got two Ferrari's on my ass this weekend so the intensity is definitely there." I giggle into the mic. "However, it's nothing I can't handle. At the end of the day, it's just two athletes in red cars right? Nothing I haven't dealt with before." I nod and smile.

"For sure. That's why the fans root for you in the stands, right?"

My face fell a bit from her follow up comment. I knew there were thousands of men pissed that I was in their sport. I know that's how it was in NASCAR. They looked at me like I killed their dog or I was born from the devil himself. If only looks could kill, I'd be dead in a ditch right about now.

And although Formula One was much more inclusive, especially with help from Lewis Hamilton himself, it's still present no matter where you look.

I laughed a bit, ignoring my PR training. "What fans?" I chuckled to myself.

Did I just say that out loud?

"Every little girl watching you at home dreaming of a day they get to be just like you." She said with the most sincere smile on her face. "You're an icon for girls all over the world."

And that's when it hit me. She's right. "You got me there. I think with all my press conferences in NASCAR, I forget that women of all ages realize that F1, and Motorsport in general, is just as attainable as any other sport. And I'm proud to be that source of inspiration to everyone with a dream, just like I once was." I answered with a smile. Wasn't really a dream, more of an expectation but it sounded good.

She gracefully nods her head towards me, the unspoken 'thank you', "Well said. We look forward to seeing you on the track tomorrow. Make us proud!"

I tip my hat towards her, "will do."

Turning around, I bump into a shorter orange stature. "Oh I'm so sorry!"

"Hey, where's the fire?" A man's voice chuckled. "Spence?"

I look up, "Lando?" My face gushing with smiles.

Lando's face lights up, "Spence, it is you! How've you been?"

I laugh nervously, not sure if I'm ready to talk about my situation with the McLaren driver I've admired.

I give Lando a quick side-hug "yeah, I've been good!"