2. My Year

📍Indianapolis, Indiana

Spencer

It's been four days of intensive training preparing for the Indie 500 tomorrow. Spending my waking hours either in the gym, on the track, or in the garage, I have been putting in all my time into the big race.

My career catapulted me into directions I never saw myself going into. Ever since my parents died to a drunk driver, I have always been lenient when driving. However, when I saw my uncle race for the first time after being officially adopted by him, that life became mine.

Growing up at the race track taught me respect for speed and respect for the cars you drive. Watching NASCAR from the pits is all I knew until I decided to get into a car myself.

Well, more like being forced into a car, but this life was always my destiny.

My life became unique when my schooling revolved around the race schedules and my training sessions. Being homeschooled was the best possibility for me to have the best of both worlds.

However, that life withheld me from the experiences of any normal teenager. Going through this all, it was a learning curve. It was something I had a love hate relationship with.

That was until I met Chase Briscoe. Driver, mechanic, mama's boy, and my first serious boyfriend.

Growing up in this life around men and boys was tough on me, no matter how much I tried to deny it.

Chase made me feel like a girl. He made me feel pretty, loveable, sexy, smart, and most of all, badass. Chase was the kind of man that would walk through fire for me. The kind of kid that would stick up for the little guy.

His relationship with me was nothing shy of supportive and caring. He cherished me and wanted nothing more than to see me succeed.

Chase was always the one to help me through my grief during the anniversaries of my parents deaths. Chase was never one to shy away from me when I would spiral during those depressing weeks in the year.

With that, it was very hard for me to cope when Chase had to break up with me in order to keep his spot on the team. With his father as a big sponsor, he felt that I was too much of a distraction for his son, therefore he thought it would be better if we split.

Much to my surprise, I was understanding and we both decided that being friends would be best to keep his father happy, and keep the two of us racing for the same team.

Chase was my competition, and yet he was the most supportive of my success. The first man in my life to be one hundred percent supportive of my dreams, and not the dreams of the people around me.

College was always a possibility for me, but the world of racing had paved a road I had never intended for myself.

Yes, I loved racing, but doing this for the rest of my life? It was daunting to me. I always wanted a life full of adventure and freedom.

With this life, being who I am, I spent the rest of my Friday night in the garage preparing for my race in the morning.

"Hello?" A man's voice rang through the space in the garage.

Pulling my attention up from the engine bay, my eyes met the man striding into the garage.

"Well if it isn't the hard working woman I have the pleasure of racing against tomorrow." His voice continued.

A smile adorning on my face, I rolled my eyes and put my focus back to the engine beneath me. "Hi Chase."

"Do you ever just spend the eve of a race not in the garage?" Chase pokes.