“No. I’m imagining the little street I lived on with my family, on the night they died,” I mumble awkwardly.

Haden bites his lower lip and pats my shoulder sympathetically. “Just remember all of this is merely a figment of your imagination, alright? Besides, I’m here this time. You’re safe, okay?” he reassures, taking my hand and giving it a light squeeze.

               “Thanks,” I mumble. “We should be looking for Alex,” I remind him unnecessarily.

Haden nods and wraps an arm around my waist again. He closes his eyes, and following his lead, I do too. The next time I open my eyes, we’re standing outside of this small little house, nothing spectacular. It kind of looks like the house my neighbours lived in, back when I lived with my family.

               “It’s okay, Jess. I don’t know what you see, but this is the house of one of the healers,” Haden informs me, rubbing soothing circles on my back. He must have picked up the frightened look on my face.

He helps me into the house and an old lady walks in, a small bat in her hands.

               “Hey Mrs McCloud!” Haden calls apprehensively. “It’s me. Haden.”

               “Boy, haven’t you heard of knocking?!” the old lady demands, shaking her head and putting the bat down.

               “Sorry,” Haden grins.

               “Who’s the lady, boy?” Mrs McCloud asks, raising her eyebrows suggestively.

               “My ward,” Haden mumbles, immediately dropping his gaze.

               “Oh” is her one word reply, immediate judgement on her face. “Now I know which part of your body you thought with when you saved her,” she murmurs rudely.

               “Hey!” I murmur, outraged. Who does she think she is?!

               “No, it’s alright Jess,” Haden mumbles, his cheeks blazing red.

               “No, it isn’t alright! Nobody should be allowed to talk to you like that!” I snarl.

               “Listen to me; drop it!” Haden warns me severely before turning back to Mrs McCloud. “Mrs McCloud, are Alex and Matt here?”

She merely raises an eyebrow and stands with her hands on her hips.

               “Mrs McCloud! Please! You know I’m doing what I’m doing because I have my own reasons! You’ve always trusted me. Trust me again. Please?” Haden pleads.

               “Boy, you are one of the most admirable young men Persephone has. But there’s no forgiving a reaper who goes rouge,” she answers coldly.

               “Geez! I haven’t gone rouge, okay?! I still take on my assignments as a reaper! I haven’t betrayed anyone!” Haden defends weakly.

               “Haden?!” Matt calls, coming down the stairs, confusion on his face. “Jess?!” he asks incredulously once he sees me.

               “Hey man! Is Alex okay?” Haden demands, walking towards Matt, leaving Mrs McCloud staring daggers at me.

               “Alex is better than okay man! He’s so ready to partay!” Alex calls gleefully, walking down the stairs towards us. He stops short when he sees me. “Jessy? What happened to your leg?!”

               “Oh right!” Haden murmurs, coming back over to me. He puts an arm behind my knees and easily lifts me up, sending my cheeks blazing and Mrs McCloud’s grimacing.

He carries me up the stairs and into a room where an old man is cleaning up.

               “Hey Mr McCloud! I need you to help my friend. She broke her ankle,” he murmurs, laying me down on the bed gently.

               “Haden...you know the rules,” Mr McCloud murmurs, examining my leg, causing me to wince. Haden grabs onto my hand and squeezes gently.

               “I know! And I know you’re risking a lot to help me. It’s just a favour. Please? You know how long it takes for an ankle to mend...and you know the trouble I’m in,” Haden mumbles embarrassedly.

Mr McCloud assesses him for a couple of minutes before nodding his head.

               “You’re Jessica, right?” he asks kindly. I nod my head apprehensively. “Don’t worry. It’ll be over in a minute. It might hurt, so, think something nice,” he warns.

I nod again, and tighten my grip around Haden’s hand. He sits down beside me on the bed and places a hand over my eyes. “It’s going to be okay, Jessy,” he whispers, squeezing my hand.

And with a sudden sharp movement, Mr McCloud puts something on my ankle making me shriek in agony. I’m in tears, sobbing at the pain.

               “Shh! It’s alright! It’s alright Jess. It’s over,” Haden repeats over and over again.

Haden pulls me up into a sitting position and cradles me against his chest, rocking me back and forth. “Over Jessy. That’s it. Calm,” he whispers against my hair.

After a few minutes of sobbing, the pain disappears. Like literally disappears. I stare incredulously at my leg. I gently move my ankle and it moves! No pain!

I grin like an idiot and Haden shoots me a brilliant smile. “Thanks so much Mr McCloud!” he thanks profusely, pulling me to my feet.

               “Run boy,” Mr McCloud calls, his face tensed.

Haden nods his head and pulls me down the stairs with him. He cuts Matt and Alex off with a finger and grabs onto Alex’s shoulder. Alex immediately grabs onto Matt’s jacket and within a moment, that sense of vertigo is present and I realise we’re apparating.

I open my eyes and we’re once again standing in the living room of the mansion.

               “Dude, what was with the rush? I didn’t even get to talk to Mrs McCloud,” Alex grumbles.

               “Somebody knew we were going to be in Persephone,” Haden mumbles, pacing up and down. “I sensed it. They were waiting to sabotage us. It was like a net was closing in on us,” he mumbles quickly, his pacing increasing in speed.

               “We just need to be more careful next time,” Matt answers calmly, taking me by the hand. “Now tell us what happened after the crash,” he instructs.

Haden and I exchange a look before I begin the long, painful narrative.