Chapter 22

A/N: To those of you who write - have you thought about entering my short story/one-shot contest? There will be six prizes for the winner (different forms of advertising and feedback). For more info, check my The Contests Book, chapter May Challenge (link in the comments).

*****

The sun was setting as Rhys drove us into the Silver Bullets' neighbourhood. We passed his parents' house; we were going to his.

He stopped the car in front of the building which we'd passed by on our walk last weekend. Throughout our journey here, we'd both kept silent; he seemed worried with what to say and I didn't want to push him in case that made him change his mind about telling me whatever he was planning to tell.

"I hope you don't mind me bringing you here," Rhys said as he tilted the key towards him and the engine died. "I needed some place private and your apartment... Well, I never thought apartments were private; it always seems like the neighbours might overhear something."

Was he planning to raise his voice as we spoke?

I shook my head.

No.

But perhaps he expected there to be some shouting, maybe on my part. Was what he was about to share that bad?

He didn't seem reluctant to talk - on the contrary, he looked more determined that I'd ever seen him - but he appeared to be afraid at the outcome of our conversation. My eyes ran over him, over his white skin and clenched jaw; he wasn't just afraid, he was terrified.

I shifted uncomfortably in my seat and swallowed, my throat dry.

"Let's do this," he urged and got out of the car, closing the door forcefully. He paused and took a slow breath before he walked to my side to open the door for me. I tried to stand up, but something pulled me back. The seatbelt. I had forgotten to undo my seatbelt.

My fingers fumbled with the safety restraint and he leaned down to help me. I heard a click and I was free.

"Thanks," I muttered as he pulled back to allow me to get out. He closed the door - this time without slamming it - and we walked into the yard, then took the few steps that led to the porch. Rhys' personal house was very much like the one he currently resided in, only newer. He'd built it himself with the help of his father, brothers and a few neighbours.

Rhys swung his arm, gesturing for me to go in first and I walked into an empty hallway.

"Would you like a tour or...?" He didn't finish his question, but I knew what he meant.

"No, let's... Let's talk."

He nodded and led the way to what would one day probably be the living room. The only furniture it had now was a square table pushed to the wall furthest from us and the two wooden chairs that were around it; unlike the ones in his parents' house, these were without cushions. There were no curtains or persiennes on the large windows and as I gazed through them, I saw a car pass by, its lights emitting a light glow in the darkness which was slowly descending.

"We should probably sit," Rhys suggested. "This will take a while."

I took the chair to the right and he sat opposite me. He took another deep breath, then spoke hastily as if he couldn't wait to get this over with.

"Once upon a time..."

"I thought you brought me here to talk about the Bullets," I rebuked, crossing my arms over my chest. We'd driven all the way here, our anxiety taking the physical form of something thick enough to be cut with a knife - and I meant a good, well-sharpened knife - and now he was wasting my time with a fairytale?