Chapter 36: Missed Opportunties, Part I

Start from the beginning

He's just trying to get under my skin. Shadow may have a speckled past, but he would never join Calix. I just need to distract this bastard long enough for someone to see past his mask.

"And what exactly is 'all his idea' anyways?"

Grimacing as he leans in close to my ear, he smells of ash and pine trees.

"Such a cold gaze you have in deed, my dear. But you see, him and I are cut from the same cloth. The same... Programming, if you will."

My ear twitches uncomfortably as his breath blows against it. Leaning back in an attempt to put any sort of distance between us, the memory of him shattering my spin is still very fresh on my mind.

Rolling his eyes, he says "alright alright I'll get on with it. I'll admit I'm a bit more of a solo act, but when he proposed the very same idea that I've been pondering myself, I must say I was quite intrigued. He broke me free from my shackles within that dreaded test tube, and in doing so gave me the opportunity to set our plans into motion."

No... None of this is right. Every word is a lie.

"Maria was murdered because the thought of creating a monster like yourself drove her uncle insane. Shadow would never have contributed to something that led to her death."

"She murdered herself, love. I had nothing to do with that. Besides, the doctor was ill of mind long before I came along."

Feeling a growl begin rise in the back of my throat, his grip on my waist tightens.

"He's using you just like he used her. She was a weak point, and weakness must me culled from that of the strong."

"Shut up."

"Oh, love--"

Raising my voice above the music in anger, the chaos energy within me writhes at the chance of being released.

"I said shut your damn mouth!"

Looking at me through narrowed eyes, the band stops playing and the crowd begins to whisper in a hushed manor.

"You should mind your tone, girl." Leaning down to whisper in my ear, the sound of chairs scraping against the marble floor echo around the banquet hall. "Choose to believe me, or don't. But either way, his affections will distract you, and you will fall alongside your comrades. You will join them in an eternal death, and this world will be remade as it was so intended to be."

Glancing up at Sonic sprinting towards us, Calix smiles down at me with an eerie smile. "Toodaloo, little dove." Snapping his fingers, he disappears into particles as the Mobian's surrounding us begin to look around in a panic.

No less than a second later, Sonic's shoes squeak as he skids to a stop, Shadow not far behind him.

"Rose, are you alright?"

Looking up into his worried crimson eyes, something in my stomach begins to sink.

I've seen his look of concern often enough to notice something different about it.

It's not a look of concern for that of someone you care about...

But that of someone who doesn't know if their secret has been exposed or not.

"Ames?"

Barely hearing Sonic's voice in the sea of anger coursing through my mind, I angrily throw Shadow's hand aside as he reaches for my shoulder. I would have defended him until the very end, but this feeling in my chest knows that something isn't right.

"You loved her! How could you?!"

Taking a step back, his eyes are wide in shock and lined with panic.

"She's dead Shadow! Maria is-" feeling my voice crack as he reaches out for me again, my voice raises to a howl as I bare my teeth at him.

"DON'T TOUCH ME!"

Flinching as I snarl, I can see the emotions swirling behind his crimson eyes. But as much as I want to reach out and take my anger out on him.... I can't.

Feeling my voice break, I step back and bump straight into Sonic. My ears flatten to my head as I look at him with hurt in my eyes.

"I was about to give you everything you wanted. I... I wanted to give you everything..."

As Sonic places a comforting hand on my shoulder, I feel Sally walk up beside me and grab my hand. They all watch as Shadow's brows scrunch together, his eyes glued to the ground.

And as he slowly turns to walk away, I realize that I'm still shaking.