Betrayal

Kuruk, Canto Bight

Miss Ren would probably be peeved that I wasn't there, and likely more irritated other people were. I smirked at the thought as I leaned against her shuttle and waited.

She was a closed-off person—fitting in perfectly with us—until she decided she liked someone. Sure, she probably likes everyone in attendance, but I had a feeling if she could choose one person, it would be between Cardinal and myself, despite the fact that we generally didn't speak much to each other. I knew she was growing more fond by the day—as was I.

Ren was not the dark leader we were promised, but he is powerful. We've known since our battle in the throne room that Maia was strong too—her energy floating around, encouraging not just Kylo, but us—but we also learned just how strong Kylo Ren could be. Though he lost his hand in the end, his motions had been new to us. Strong, calculated strokes that had an effect greater than we've witnessed previously. The Kylo before Maia would have lost much more than a hand.

Kylo had a stop to make after this, so I brought transportation for Maia. The complex I was standing outside had a private landing pad, which currently housed the Buzzard, Hux's personalized command shuttle, the Falcon, and closer to the building, where I stood watch, sat her little ship—which the Knights call the Slicer, due to its ability to slice through hyperspace at dangerous speeds. One cannot say Maia lives carefully; she was as reckless as us. I got to pilot it there, as Kylo brought her in his shuttle and docked somewhere else so she wouldn't see everyone's transports. It was... enjoyable. I didn't understand it fully, but Trudgen barely stopped talking about it since he redrew the plans for the Harbinger.

I was still imagining how irritated Maia probably was and was wondering how Ren even got her to agree to it—when Hux and Alaric exited the building. A chill went through me, a subtle warning, as if a target were about to cross my scope.

I didn't like either of them and had yet to see what my mistress saw in them. The only one of her companions I found acceptable was Cardinal, but that was because I have witnessed his devotion to Maia and his growing respect for Ren. Plus, he had returned to the throne room that day on the Supremacy, assisting us off the city ship, something he had no orders to do, meaning it was his own decision.

As I always did when they were around, I fell back into the shadows. Master has been suspicious of her right hand as well, going so far as having one of us trail him every time he leaves the Harbinger. They passed me, but the chill did not dissipate.

It was the chill of battle, of a fight.

I didn't know what it meant, but I knew for certain Miss Ren would follow the feeling. It was likely Kylo would as well.

So, when they climbed the ramp, I slipped in behind them. When they went into the cockpit, I slowly moved to a dark spot in the back and pulled out my comm. I typed a message to Ren and the Knights.

Following Hux

I clicked enter two seconds after the ship left the ground. When the message was sent back unable to be delivered, my heart skipped from understanding—something was wrong. Either the city itself was being blocked or the ship was. Likely the ship, but anything was possible.

Slowly, I crept to the space behind the cockpit just as I felt us near atmosphere.

"Why are my communications down?" Hux asked, the first voice I heard.

"Because I need to talk with you without you jumping to conclusions or acting out of impulse," Maia's right hand said in a tone I didn't recognize from him. It was... just different. He always has a chirpy twang to his voice—but now it was an even Coruscant accent.