Withholding

Kylo, the Supremacy

"Sweetheart," I said under my breath the first time there wasn't somebody standing next to us. Her eyes shifted just enough to tell me the pet name caught her off guard.

They always did, I thought with a small grin. I wonder how many I could use.

"You are upset."

She cocked her head, seeming to focus on me. "No," she said lightly, giving me a smile.

"Why?" I ignored her lie.

She shook her head and looped her arm with mine. We rarely showed any affection in public, but I liked when she touched me.

"I'm just ready to get out of here."

"You lie."

She sighed, and I waited for her to put her thoughts into words. "They are not loyal for the right reasons."

An interesting thought. Did she think they were loyal to Snoke for the right reasons?

"Not everyone will be."

She pressed her lips together, causing me to smile under my mask. When she came to an abrupt halt and looked up at me, I saw the displeasure on her face.

"I'd like permission to spend some time here."

That was the last thing I expected her to say. Maia has been buzzing with fear since we boarded—she did not wish to stay. "You believe you can change the fact?"

"I'd like to try."

I stared at her for longer than necessary, knowing my answer but unsure how she would take it.

"No."

Her brows furrowed in confusion.

"What?"

"I said, no."

Her mouth hung open slightly, unsure how to respond, and likely wondering if I was joking.

"Why?" she finally asked cautiously. I smiled to myself at her obvious decision to try not to overreact.

"Because it is not your problem. You have enough to do."

"It would only be like one or two—"

"No."

"Kylo," she said quietly, clearly confused.

"Request denied, Maia."

Her eyes widened at my firm tone, then narrowed. Perhaps I should not have used a military stance, I realized belatedly. We typically kept it as far away from our relationship as possible—which wasn't very—and she was not speaking to me as Supreme Leader, nor had I been speaking to her as my high admiral. The request, after all, would have been granted were I not crazy for her. She could make all the waves she wanted, but the Supremacy was a risk I didn't believe was worth it.

"We'll talk about it at home, Maia," I said quickly, holding my arm out for her once more. She frowned but took it without hesitating. We were quiet for a few beats.

"I'm sorry," I said under my breath. Maia was not used to being told no, I knew.

Her eyes flicked over to me before looking away. "Kylo, I can—"

"But my answer is still no. You may give Hux advice."

"Fine," she said in barely more than a whisper. "But my pussy is closed."

My lips broke open into a smile. Oh, my sweet, little Maia.

"If that is what it takes to keep you safe," I said simply—but she would not be keeping anything from me.