A Contract

Maia, the Harbinger

Kylo pulled a dress out of the closet and put it on the bed. I cocked my head at it—it was one I'd never seen before. It had the shape of a light, flowy sundress, but was black and almost sheer.

"Am I supposed to wear something under that?" I asked with a chuckle. It would get more media coverage than our cold war.

He pulled out something else and I let out a laugh. It was an actual silk slip. I pulled it on and then the dress, turning for him to zip it.

"Why am I to wear this?"

"I need to get off this ship and away from this military for a day. I figured we could take the day off."

"We have a clone emperor to destroy, you know."

"Perhaps tomorrow," he said lightly. I shook my head, baffled—but honestly, I needed a break too.

"So, where are we gonna go?"

"Canto Bight."

I sucked in a breath. Was he going to show me our... home? "My. One might think we have a residence there for how much we've been there this year."

"We do," he said without looking at me. Oh, I guess not, or he wouldn't have ruined the surprise. I felt a sliver of disappointment, the thought of spending the day with Kylo outside and completely alone sounded too enticing.

"I know."

"Excuse me?" he asked in a dark voice, turning around.

"Your father showed me."

He made a sound of frustration and turned back around. "How the hell did he know about it?"

"Lola told him."

He turned back, looking surprised. "Why?" I thought he would get dizzy.

"Apparently, she has kept him up to date on your life whenever you go to Cantonia."

He blinked a few times fast. Then he shook his head, exasperated. "My family," he muttered.

"I like them," I said softly.

He stared at me for a moment. "Yes, I know. They like you too. And surprisingly, that pleases me. I don't understand it. I hated them."

I sighed and pulled my feet up underneath me, hugging a knee. "Perhaps you feel like you have, in a way, shown them what you are most proud of. And their acceptance of me tells you they are proud of you." He blinked at me. I shrugged. "But they have plenty to be proud of you for, Kylo."

"You're so perfect," he said, causing me to blush wildly. "I love you."

"That's not something you have to say all the time," I said with a giggle. I did not want him to feel he owes me anything.

"I will say it every time I think it," he growled before practically tackling me to the bed.

———

It took us twenty minutes to actually get ready, and Kylo held his elbow out when he was finished. I giggled and gripped it, following him to his command shuttle. He was on and off his datapad the entire trip, but I quickly gave up trying to figure out what he was doing. Whatever surprise he was working on, I just hoped it didn't involve other people.

He landed in the middle of the city in an intricate private landing pad. We had to walk about a klick, so I took the opportunity to analyze the city.

"Is this a courthouse?" I asked, spinning in a quick circle to look at the giant buildings all around. Wherever we landed, it was clearly a government district.