Cardinal

Kylo, captain's quarters

Once Maia was asleep once more, I waited until I was sure she'd fallen into a deep slumber before unwrapping her from my chest. I could never resist watching her sleep. Her face was always relaxed, a look I only got from her when we were alone and she was comfortable—which wasn't actually that often. We were busy people; but she never complained, which pleased me. I didn't need any more guilt in my life, and Maia was the only person who didn't make me feel guilty. Look how fast she'd forgiven me for trading her ridiculous estate.

I popped into the refresher to get ready but stopped at my reflection. Normally, I had deep circles under my eyes, but I slept a lot more with Maia. My face looked clear and... bright. As if I were happy.

I scoffed at the thought. I wasn't supposed to be happy. Snoke would sense it. It was a danger to us both.

The door to our office slid open and I clicked on the holonews and flipped through channels, searching for anything that caught my attention—the same thing I did every morning.

The holonet blasted the new logo of the First Fleet everywhere these past few weeks, with Maia's serious face often nearby. She was as popular with her troops as she was with the holonews; they loved her face and they loved stories about her. Even the New Republic's main news stations talked about her all the time, though, not in as good a light. They'd probably talk about the Harbinger for weeks, once they caught wind of it.

This was my routine before Maia entered my life, but lately, it required more focus.

I stopped.

The man speaking was going over the battle on Canto Bight, but that happened almost two months ago. It was old news, and that was a red flag.

"—tell me, she was defending the people of the city just as much as herself. Is Cantonica not still a free and neutral system? What were our militaries doing there? My sources say the First Order was simply having a meeting. The Resistance went there to find trouble, putting civilians at risk as a result. But we can't even make this deduction, or any others like it, because the holonews is suddenly under watchful eyes once again. Why did the New Republic not tell us about that part of the story? It's beginning to feel a little like the old Empire. But I wonder, even in the midst of the old men ruling the First Order—also, oddly reminiscent, I think—is this admiral a bright star? Could she bring us into a new—"

I shut it off with a growl of frustration.

Positive media from a strictly New Republic news station was good.

But not for Maia. It was too much attention on her. And if she was nearly as conflicted as I believed her to be, I really didn't want extra eyes on her. One wrong move could land one or both of us at Snoke's feet.

"Alaric," a holo said as it popped to life. I had apparently caught him eating breakfast, his face going serious when he saw who was on the other side of the call.

"I want you to get this morning's Galactic Daily removed."

"Sir," he said slowly, and I knew he was nervous about questioning my order. I clenched my teeth, aware Maia respected him greatly—and often allowed her officers to speak. Annoying. "That is a New Republic station." How very fucking observant.

"I am aware. Have you not seen it?"

"Well, no."

"Nea Attah called her a star in an empire."

"Oh," he said quietly, and I waited for him to think it over.

"Alright. I'll see what I can do. Anything else?"