I love you

Kylo, Canto Bight

"Maia, I love you." The words from my own mind rang loud. And yet, I could not say them. I tried before she left, but they would not leave my lips. So when I accomplished most of what I needed to do—I found myself on Canto Bight.

Just one drink, I had said.

But now I sat at Lola's main bar, without my helmet—I wasn't even sure where it was—and I was hammered. I was also bleeding, my fists raw.

"Here," Lola said harshly, pushing a towel toward me. "Why the fuck do you have to do this? Don't you have a woman to go home to now?"

"She's on the Death Star, actually."

"What? Damn you're drunk. Ap was right, it's time for you to go."

I looked up at her, unamused. "If he was right, I wouldn't have fought him."

"Fought him? You beat him, Kylo. Seriously, who can I call?"

Maia. My sweet, perfect Maia.

"Why can't I tell her I love her?"

"I don't know, kid. Because you think you can't love."

"But I know I can. Because I do." I could hear my slurred speech, but I didn't care. Who the fuck was going to do anything? Lola would not make me leave.

"Then tell her," she said with a wave of her hand before moving off to help other patrons.

I muttered something about not knowing what she was talking about and stumbled into the refresher.

Before I could even begin to pull my dick out, a chill ran through me. The first thing that registered after that, was Maia's voice.

"Fire," she said, her voice neutral but with an underlying sliver of triumph.

I shifted to the left, but I was still standing in the refresher. The chill had not dissipated, however, and I could feel Maia.

As I turned to look to my other side, her screams rang out, loud and piercing. And there she was, lying on the dirty, tiled floor, holding the same artifact we saw on Naboo.

"Maia?" What was I seeing? It was real—I knew it was, because her screams stopped, and she looked up at me. But then Luke gripped under her arms and started pulling her away. "What the fuck is this?" I asked, trying to follow. I left the refresher and ran through the cantina, shoving people out of the way until finally, I saw her again. She was leaning against the cantina wall, staring at me.

"Kylo," she said. I just stared, too drunk to comprehend she was speaking to me. And then she was gone. I felt her no more.

I stood there, staring at the spot, until I thought I might faint. I trudged my way back to the bar, my need to pee forgotten. I must have closed my eyes because when I sensed Maia again, I opened them.

I could feel the bar stool under me, could smell the smoky air. But my hearing dipped out, and I was no longer seeing the bar.

Maia was before me, staring somewhere to my right. She was far enough away that I wanted to approach, but I could not move. She was upset, that much was clear, as she gestured dramatically at something. "You think that person wanted you to be a hero?"

Her voice was... angry. As Luke responded, I cranked my neck to see who she pointed at. A stormtrooper. They were still on the Death Star, I realized. I was seeing this in real-time. I heard Luke's anger, his defeat. But what Maia said back froze me to the core.

"You are a fool!" She spat the word, such rage behind it. "As blind as the Jedi before you. Kylo's fall was your fault!"

Maia, my love, was fighting with my uncle. I felt my own pain reflected in her voice, an old wound I tried to bury—but that she apparently felt, whether she realized it or not. This was not her pain; she was burdened by my own.