Loyalty is Key

Maia, Commander's shuttle, hyperspace

"I'm absolutely positive Snoke didn't personally deal with all this," I mumbled. "They're testing you. Seeing what kind of leader you'll be."

"Just tell me what to do," he said casually, as if asking for instructions on cooking dinner.

"You've spent your whole life doing what other people told you to do; why don't you spend some time deciding for yourself?"

"I decided on you," he said in the same tone. My heart fluttered in understanding. I chose him too. It's why we work. Even when we're frustrated with each other, we're in this together now. It may have only been a day, but our relationship has clearly shifted.

"Maia, I trust you," he said after I didn't respond. "You've proven time and time again that you are loyal to me for all the right reasons." His head turned to meet my eyes. "It's not like I don't make the decisions in the end. But I want your suggestions, and I am grateful for your help ruling."

I nodded, letting his words stew. I guess I understood. I did have suggestions.

"Are we strange?"

My words caught him off guard, and he let out a startled laugh.

"Baby, we're so far from normal, we shot past strange long ago."

I giggled, happiness coursing through me. We had a lot on our plate all of a sudden, but we were still together. How cheesy.

"But we're oddly good together, are we not? I don't know a lot about relationships, but I don't think we're that bad at it."

Other than the month's hiatus, of course. I resisted the urge to bring it up. I spoke with Trudgen that morning, and in a moment of weakness, asked him if Kylo had missed me. He had taken a long time to respond, likely horrified he had to speak about emotions that were not fear or hate.

But he did answer, eventually: "Admiral, he is incomplete without you."

"You do not think him weak for it?" I had responded quietly.

"I have never seen him stronger, Mistress." His tone had indicated he was done humoring me—but stars was I grateful.

Now, sitting next to me, gazing out the viewport, I knew he was bitter with himself for leaving, and I had no desire to add to his guilt.

"I've caught glimpses of my parents in us," he started, and I knew he was displeased at the thought. Perhaps I should look further into his parents. "But I agree, I think we do okay—which is surprising, because we are two of the most complicated people ever," he tried to joke, shooting me a small smile before continuing. "I've made some mistakes, but you've been understanding."

I chuckled and reached out to hold his hand. Our fingers locked lightly together. "I know you think highly of me, Kylo, but I make plenty of mistakes too."

"Ha!" he huffed dramatically. I let go and shoved him.

"I do!"

"Whatever you say," he said with a gorgeous smile on his lips.

His comm rang then, and I gripped it from his hand, irritated by the interruption.

"Maia."

Hux's voice rang out from the small device. "Really? You're answering his private comm now?"

"Perhaps he's in the refresher, sir," I said dryly.

"Right, well, may he have a successful time there." I had to resist the urge to laugh. "I wanted to ask about this Supremacy thing. Does he really need me there too?"