Making Waves

Kylo, Main hangar on the RSD Finalizer

"We're not taking that piece of junk of yours," I called out when I saw her in preflight checks around her annoying little AD-23 Kiat cruiser.

"Excuse me?" she asked, sounding more annoyed than I'd ever heard. "You call this a piece of junk? She's newer than any of your ships!"

I stopped walking, my curiosity peaked. It would seem she likes her ship. The only thing she liked, probably.

"There is only one engine, regardless of its advanced hyperspace capabilities. It simply isn't fast enough."

"Yes, it is. You just have to know how to fly her. Plus, I've made some adjustments."

"You've added another engine?"

"No."

"Then you haven't made enough. Not to mention, you can't even fit a whole squad in there."

"I don't need a squad."

"It's barely armored. I won't argue with you, Maia."

It was hard not to grin when she went stiff. For one, I'd never called her by name. And for two, she had all authority to challenge my command. On paper, she was my superior. Barely, as the lines were murky when it came to my position in the Order. But unlike most of High Command, she had never questioned who was really in charge, always doing what I asked of her.

It would seem she was now questioning that decision.

"Fine. Lieutenant, shut her down," she called out to someone behind me. I didn't look, because I was already moving again, the command shuttle on and ready.

The moment she strapped in, I flew out of the hangar. I do not know why I expected her to speak, but she never did, working with speed on her datapad.

We landed on the Linear, Captain Weeble standing at attention with Maia's first officer. I followed behind her, only there to observe.

"I want communications opened with Reed when we get to bridge—whatever it takes. I want the entire TIE fleet on standby, ready to fly as soon as I give the word." She looked around, noting the troop transports already on standby. "Get all cruisers in range, and target our entire laser barrage and every cannon on the coordinates south 11.20 degrees, east 118.47 degrees on my word."

"Sir, that's in the middle of the ocean."

"And get me some gear."

"Sir?"

I was rather annoyed with the captain's questions—but noticed her first officer was already putting in the orders. In addition, Maia didn't seem to mind, apparently aware her orders would be followed regardless. I did not know how she remained so calm and neutral, but she was good. The tiny glimpse of annoyance earlier seemed so small compared to my emotions.

"Is it unusual for me to land with the troops?" she asked, looking around as if waiting on something as we walked. I found myself casually looking to either side of me, wondering what it was. Usually, people were so predictable, but I wasn't so sure about her.

"No, but this has become a bloodbath." The man was correct. I looked up the conflict after the meeting, as it was the first I'd heard of it. The resistance only began two days ago, but the people seemed prepared to fight to the death.

"And it will get bloodier before the end, Captain."

She seemed confident and in control, but that wasn't unusual. She had the exact same face and voice that she always held. Bored. It was the only way to describe it.