Fashion Advice

Maia, bridge office on the Finalizer, the following day

"Commodore, there's a request from the commander for your presence on Cantonica as soon as you're free," Alaric said, my first officer and likely the closest thing to a friend I have. I looked up from my desk with scrunched-up brows.

"Free?" When am I ever free?

"That is the verbiage, ma'am."

"Would you consider me free?" I asked him with a microscopic smile on my lips.

"As free as you'll ever be. Don't worry, we have a quiet day in store."

"Ah, that's usually how the bad ones begin," I chuckled.

"Not all, ma'am. Shall I prepare your ship?"

"Yes, thank you. I'll be ready in an hour." I nodded and said goodbye.

As I sent out some orders and checked the status updates from that morning, I tried not to worry about why Ren wanted me on Canto. But it was a useless cause.

I threw my day bag over my shoulder and boarded my precious ship 45 minutes later. It was the only thing I truly owned, having purchased it with my own money and paid for all the upgrades. Thankfully, my crew respected me and cared for it as if it was any other First Order ship.

The flight was uneventful, and an officer was waiting to pick me up. He took me to... a clothing store?

"What am I supposed to do here?" I asked, not moving to get out of the speeder.

"I've been told you're getting an outfit for an important meeting." He winked. "A promotion, perhaps?"

I stared at him, my mind spinning. Kylo wanted me to buy clothes? A four-hour trip one way, for clothes?

Ridiculous.

I entered the fancy establishment and came to a halt. I've never been clothes shopping—ever. But this didn't seem normal.

It was extravagant. Marble lined the floors and spiraled up into the ceiling. Gold was everywhere—the chairs, the walls, the stands holding clothes. It smelled amazing, and some sort of string instrument beautifully played somewhere.

"Commodore Maia?" a man asked, standing tall to my right, a large, kind smile on his face.

"Yes?" I asked as I turned to face him fully.

"It is an honor to have you as a guest. If you will follow me," he gestured to a hallway. I nodded and fell into step next to him, my eyes trying to take in everything.

"You may, of course, try anything you'd like. But we have a nice selection set out for you."

"Alright." I was already overwhelmed, but the feeling increased when a woman handed me a glass of champagne. I've never ever tried champagne before.

I would definitely be sending the bill to the fucking commander.

He opened a door, and I came to another halt. It was a large room with various clothing, all on hangers, set up to see them individually. Different shoes hung off each outfit, and two even had short feminine capes. The large couch in the center of the room, the multiple mirrors, and the fact that each outfit only had one size, made me think they were all for me to try on.

"We've been instructed to leave you be, madam. If you do need anything, there is a wall comm by the door."

"Thanks." I watched him leave, sipping the bubbly drink—which was only mildly satisfying. After it was gone, I set the glass on the table, glancing irritatingly at the bucket of ice containing an open bottle of champagne.